Ladies, what gym equipment works best for you?

Options
A friend of mine and I joined a gym a couple of months ago and have tried all the equipment available and we're kind of picking and choosing what we like to do the most. I like the arc trainer, abs machines, and arm machines. I haven't noticed a difference at all and am wondering what do you fellow MFP ladies use that works well for you to give you that feminine muscular look? Do you have a certain routine that has helped you get into shape and lose weight? Newbie here, so excuse my ignorance. :laugh:

Thanks,

K.

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Barbells, dumbbells, and kettlebells. Today I used the rowing machine as well, but that's pretty rare for me.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Don't like machines, never have. For my cardio I will use the treadmill or the bike but I generally workout at lunch and don't want to hit the road or trail since I don't really have the time.

Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strenght, 5/3/1, are all good programs for beginners. Google them all and see which would work best for you. I personally am on SL5x5.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Free weights and the cable machines. I also like the smith machine (annnnnnd . . . . lets hear it from all the people who will tell me how bad it is and to quit my gym and go join a "real" one :happy: ) and some of the leg machines -- ab/adductor, donkey kick, leg press, leg curl, leg extension. Since I do legs every other day and switch things up I incorporate those machines in.

Cardio I run or use the arc trainer but since I currently have a major foot issue I will be relegated to the stationary bike:angry:
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When I did go, I enjoyed the elliptical the most. I was too afraid to approach the weights, but I am thinking the next time I get motivated enough to go, I'm going to go for it.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer and I end up using all different kinds of equipment, both cardio and strength training.

Per his recommendation, I am always mixing it up. Tue and Thur are cardio only days so one day Ill be on the treadmill, the other on the stair stepper, or elliptical. I do strength training with him on Wed and we use a variety of machines, cables, kettle bells and my favorite is TRX (I take a class on Fri).

With his help, I have ,lost over 25lbs and kept it off. While I still have work to do, especially around my belly area and my inner thighs(ick!), my lower legs look good and Im so proud of my arms- I never knew I could have definition in my tricep!

Just make sure you are using the appropriate amount of weight for you and doing enough reps to achieve your results safely!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    olympic barbell + steel weights + Stronglifts 5x5 or NROL