5ks, Triathalons, & other sports events. What motivates U?

Options
I keep hearing everyone talk about doing 5k's or Triathlon. This weekend my job has a booth at the Boulder Triathlon and i will be working it pre-race day (Saturday) morning. What better motivation than to see all the people trying to be healthy like me :wink:

What is everyone doing for exercise motivation?

Replies

• maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    For me, the exercise is its own motivation--I feel so good when I'm done. Really powerful and strong, plus more relaxed and better able to deal with the day.

That said, I ran my first half marathon last month, and the experience was so good (even though I was not feeling well and didn't make my goal pace) that I will definitely do it again. There's something very positive and emotionally bonding about doing something like that--seeing all the people lined up to cheer you on, knowing that there are so many other people running with you. It really made me feel like I was part of something positive. Definitely worth the registration fee, and the aches and pains :-) So I guess that is what is motivating me to run another half--the positive experience I had at the last one.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    My biggest motivator is how much more energy I have now. A friend recently talked me into my first 5K. It was a ton of fun and at the end of it I was really proud of myself. It certainly wasn't anything I would have done before...let alone being able to finish. I'm already scouting for my next race :smile:
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Improve my 10k and half-marathon times!
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm into swimming at the moment, and considering entering a relay race across the English Channel for a diabetes charity!

Have a long way to go yet before I'm good enough, but its nice to have something to aim for! :smile:
  • theresea1231
    theresea1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Finished my FIRST 5k June 12 and will try to register for one race a month to keep me motivated.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    All of the above. :bigsmile: I looooove racing. Triathlons are my favorite now, but 5K's are good too. :drinker:

I'm training for an Olympic distance triathlon next month and a Half IronMan in September! Having a goal to shoot for works great for me!! No excuses... and I love following a training plan!
  • cynditoney
    cynditoney Posts: 90
    Options
    The fact that I now CAN do these types of things is my motivation. I do not want to waste another day. I was almost chair bound, weighing over 300- every day is a new adventure! I am not up to running 5K's or triathalons, but I can walk a 5K now and that is AMAZING to me!! :wink: