Keto anyone?

Options
little_black_dress
little_black_dress Posts: 16 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I've been on keto for 2 weeks (second time around). I'm feeling pretty good and losing weight.
Id love to see meal ideas!
Add me if you're doing keto. little_black_dress

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm keto. My dairy isn't too informative though since I just post ingredients rather than recipes.

There aren't many around here who are though. If you try the Low Carber Daily forum in the groups, you'll find a lot more keto'ers there.

Good luck.
  • akwest21
    akwest21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Keto for health reasons over here! Technically cyclic ketogenic with a weekly carb refeed meal and dessert.
  • bashfulplatypus
    bashfulplatypus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    5 days in, testing moderate keto with the strips (just to be sure I'm doing it right). I haven't eaten many carbs for the last 2 years on Paleo, but haven't been able to drop below my pre-pregnancy weight. Hoping that keto is what I need to get things moving again. I haven't started losing any weight yet, but I hear that's normal if you were already fairly low carb before.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    5 days in, testing moderate keto with the strips (just to be sure I'm doing it right). I haven't eaten many carbs for the last 2 years on Paleo, but haven't been able to drop below my pre-pregnancy weight. Hoping that keto is what I need to get things moving again. I haven't started losing any weight yet, but I hear that's normal if you were already fairly low carb before.

Since you were already low carb, perhaps you don't have the water weight adjustments that some of us had. Just make sure your calories are at a slight deficit and I'm sure the pounds will start sliding off. :)

Are you still feeling good? Did you manage to skip the keto flu?
  • jlaustin957
    jlaustin957 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im trying to do low carb...I cut out breads and pasta ..but seem to get alot of carbs (way over 50) from veggies and fruit etc not sure what to do it seems a little iver whelming ...does everyone doing keto or low carb cut out breads etc..
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Im trying to do low carb...I cut out breads and pasta ..but seem to get alot of carbs (way over 50) from veggies and fruit etc not sure what to do it seems a little iver whelming ...does everyone doing keto or low carb cut out breads etc..

I think most doing keto cut out bread. A slice of bread often has well over 40g of carbs - that's more than I eat in two days. You could eat the bread, but you would really limit yourself in what veggies and fruit you could have. I prefer to add nuts, avocado, green beans, peas and greens instead. For some people, the bread might be worth it; I would eat it close to an exercise session though so it gets burned quickly. Most keto'ers don't eat that many carbs at once so I wonder if it would take you out of ketosis.

Low carbers eat more carbs than keto'ers, I think it is 100 up to about 150g of carbs. Bread would fit in there a bit better, but I'm guessing that most don't eat it.

Look at the GI index, or load, of foods. The lower the GI index or load, typically the better it fits into a LC or keto diet.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

It can be overwhelming! I think a lot of people think if low carb is good lower is even better and that's not necessarily the case -- especially if you don't have any medical concerns.

How do you feel with what you're eating right now?
    Is your appetite under control?
    Do you like the foods that you're eating?
    Are you losing weight?

Those are the sorts of questions you should be asking yourself. If you're feeling good, enjoying your food and losing weight you're at the right carb level.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

If you avoid starchy veg and the sweeter fruits it's not hard to be under 50. A pound of veg / fruit below 10 g carb per 100g is below 45g

Going keto means minimising sugar so fruit is perhaps to be avoided at least initially.