fat loss/muscle gain dilemma

I see a lot of people declare you can't gain muscle and burn fat at the same time.
I eat around 60 carbs a day, mainly chicken or fish and vegetables (greens). I allow myself 1 smoothie a day with strawberries, raspberries , peanut butter (sometimes) and protein powder.
I work out 3X a week with a trainer with a 30 minute cardio, and walk on other days, averaging about 1 to 1.3 miles per walk. I get real frustrated that after a month, I have only lost 3 lbs, however, I went from what was a size 3X two months ago to a women's 26-28, and my clothing is getting loose and baggy. Could the lack of better weight loss have anything to do with the awesome core workouts I have been doing, causing muscle gain in my core? For the first time in my life I can actually feel my belly below my navel actually pull upward. To me, that spells muscles toned and fat loss. Please be gentle in your relies. Thank you ( - :smile:

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    It is possible to do both at your size if you're brand new to lifting. Once you've been doing it for longer, then the muscle gains will stop and you'll only be working to strengthen/maintain muscles.

As for your slow weight loss, are you weighing and logging everything you eat?
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Yes I do. I have a kitchen digital scale and I use it religiously. I asked my doctor if it may be due to the meds I am taking for thyroid, diabetes and kidney stones, and she said it is possible that could be part of the problem. I am working very hard trying to reverse my type 2 diabetes with the low carb lifestyle, but I really need to tighten up on meal times. Low carb, for me, means little or no appetite so I need to remember to eat when I am busy throughout the day. My doc says when my weight gets down further and my A1C gets lower, we can talk about taking me off of some of those meds.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It's unlikely that you gained several pounds of muscle in such a short time. Very often, new exercise can lead to a little water retention that can mask fat loss on the scale. But if you keep it up, it will even out.

Congratulations on beginning your weight loss journey! It sounds like you're off to a great start!!!!
  • flamingblades
    Thank you! I don't lift, so I haven't gained pounds of muscle, I just tone. I have a 30 minute core session on one day, an upper body on another day and a lower body on a third day. Each day followed with a 30 minute go at the treadmill. My trainer said we are working hard on the core area because I hold a lot of my weight in the gut. I also have a wide back and it holds a lot of fat as well. My back is getting measurably flatter, but my belly could use more work. Speaking of water, I drink a 32 bottle case every week. It is my favorite drink.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,913 Member
    Weight is not the most important metric. Are you feeling more aware of your muscles? Is your body shape improving? Trust how you feel. There are those who say you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. If it is possible, it will happen only with the right diet and proper exercise. I've been using the Zone Diet for 6 months and have lost 40 pounds (still a long ways to go), and I am definitely stronger as well as more fit cardiovascularly. According to the zone theory, you need to regulate the amount of insulin and other hormones in order to stimulate the body into burning fat for energy. Strength training, whether to increase or maintain muscle, is needed to discourage your body from burning muscle, but you also must consume adequate protein. Monitoring your body fat % should help you determine, regardless of weight, whether you're headed in the right direction. Good luck.
  • flamingblades
    Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement. I just received a book on diabetes control and charts of foods and their carb, fat and protein amounts. The book even covers fast food, and a boat load of brand names from the grocery store. I, however, try to keep the processed foods down to a minimum except for my protein powders.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Thank you! I don't lift, so I haven't gained pounds of muscle, I just tone. I have a 30 minute core session on one day, an upper body on another day and a lower body on a third day. Each day followed with a 30 minute go at the treadmill. My trainer said we are working hard on the core area because I hold a lot of my weight in the gut. I also have a wide back and it holds a lot of fat as well. My back is getting measurably flatter, but my belly could use more work. Speaking of water, I drink a 32 bottle case every week. It is my favorite drink.

"Toning" basically means losing fat to reveal muscle. So technically you should be seeing the scale drop. Working hard on the core area won't do anything to diminish your tummy faster. That's what the calorie deficit is for. I cannot really explain why you have dropped so much in pants size but only 3 lbs on the scale. Have you been using the same scale and weighing under the same conditions?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It is possible to do both at your size if you're brand new to lifting. Once you've been doing it for longer, then the muscle gains will stop and you'll only be working to strengthen/maintain muscles.

Yep
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    You're not gaining muscle on such a light workload.

Sorry.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I see a lot of people declare you can't gain muscle and burn fat at the same time.
    I eat around 60 carbs a day, mainly chicken or fish and vegetables (greens). I allow myself 1 smoothie a day with strawberries, raspberries , peanut butter (sometimes) and protein powder.
    I work out 3X a week with a trainer with a 30 minute cardio, and walk on other days, averaging about 1 to 1.3 miles per walk. I get real frustrated that after a month, I have only lost 3 lbs, however, I went from what was a size 3X two months ago to a women's 26-28, and my clothing is getting loose and baggy. Could the lack of better weight loss have anything to do with the awesome core workouts I have been doing, causing muscle gain in my core? For the first time in my life I can actually feel my belly below my navel actually pull upward. To me, that spells muscles toned and fat loss. Please be gentle in your relies. Thank you ( - :smile:

It's not muscle

But it is progress in fat loss

Congrats
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 649 Member
    You can gain muscle. You can see and feel the changes. muscle fibers aren't all the same.
  • flamingblades
    arditarose wrote: »

"Toning" basically means losing fat to reveal muscle. So technically you should be seeing the scale drop. Working hard on the core area won't do anything to diminish your tummy faster. That's what the calorie deficit is for. I cannot really explain why you have dropped so much in pants size but only 3 lbs on the scale. Have you been using the same scale and weighing under the same conditions?

Once a month on my doctor's scale. I know it is best to weigh in before breakfast, but I see the doc in the afternoons and I have eaten by then. Every scale I have bought for home use in the past has been crap. I use the one at the docs office. I should try the one at the gym. I just hope they maintain and calibrate it when they should.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    I posted a question with this same title in the Fitness forum. What I got out of it is that there is a difference between increased strength and increased muscle mass. You can gain strength but not muscle mass while eating a deficit. By gaining strength you also get ore definition of visibility of your muscles (my statement). I mean this in a positive way, not a gross over the top way.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    PS I am 13 months into my journey, -95 pds, -50 inches. The past 6 months I've been losing inches faster than pounds, compared to the first 6 mo. I'm sure this is because strength training is helping to reshape things, although I've been strength training all along.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    You're not gaining muscle on such a light workload.

Sorry.

This, and if I had a trainer tell me that "we're working the core so hard because I hold a lot of my fat there" I'd fire them.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015
    You can gain muscle. You can see and feel the changes. muscle fibers aren't all the same.

Possible for the outliers, and those eating close to maintenance, but it won't be several pounds and isn't nearly fast enough to truly mask scale loss. Gaining isn't that easy.

And OP has admitted they aren't really lifting.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

Once a month on my doctor's scale. I know it is best to weigh in before breakfast, but I see the doc in the afternoons and I have eaten by then. Every scale I have bought for home use in the past has been crap. I use the one at the docs office. I should try the one at the gym. I just hope they maintain and calibrate it when they should.

Then I wouldn't worry so much about weigh because

1) I doubt the doctors scales are calibrated
    2) time of day, clothes and having eaten will affect how much you weigh and there could easily be a water weight variance of 5lbs or more

Give it time, keep doing what you're doing ...maybe take measurements

Home scales should be kept in one place, you should have them on a hard, flat floor (not carpet) and weigh first thing in morning, after bathroom, before eating or drinking and naked ...you will get daily fluctuations because of water weight but over time (6-8 weeks) a downward trend
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

Yep
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's not muscle

But it is progress in fat loss

Congrats

Both of the above.

Keep up the forward movement, you are making progress, and sometimes progress is slow.
  • flamingblades
    I will talk with my trainer tomorrow about scheduling a body comp session. It's time I get measured again. Thanx
  • peterinjapan
    peterinjapan Posts: 1 Member
    Nice thread. I was worried about this too, but tracking from January of this year my numbers showed that I managed to lose like 15 kg without really losing much in actual muscle, so I guess it was a success. Definitely lifting for 30 minutes each workout, then additional stuff like aerobics and controlling what I eat has helped the most.
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    I'm still on the fence with regard to gaining muscle whilst losing fat. I've been around long enough, read enough stuff that suggests that this is potentially true and false. I don't believe for a second that its a simple clear cut answer, life always 'depends'.

I think the responses you have are great, are you gaining muscle? maybe a little if you've gone from nothing to 3-5 workouts a week even for just cardio your muscles will have had to adapt, that means density or size, but I also agree that this wont be significant.

I think a body comp analysis on a regular basis is probably the best measure you can ever consider. Weight will be fickle and can be affected by so much. Sounds like you are doing great though and remember a slow and steady loss is healthier.

With respect to the low carb diet (I do these every year also), be careful to verify whats working for you in terms of a ketosis threshold, I have heard people say stay under 100g, others say less, I think its personal so make sure you are not just tipping yourself out on some days as this can stall the effect.

Whatever you do next remember what you are doing now is working even if we can measure it all or explain it all. Learn from what works and what doesn't and you cant fail :)
  • flamingblades
    Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. :p
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    I find it funny when people say you CAN'T gain muscle while eating at a deficit. That may be the case.. but in my understanding of how muscles grow you essentially damage the muscle fibers through stress and tension, the body repairs this damaged muscle thus resulting in larger muscles. So to say that you cant grow more muscle while eating at a deficit is saying that your muscles can't and won't heal themselves. You know because clearly your body loses its ability to repair and heal when you eat less calories?!?! Anyways, rant over.... I have been eating at a deficit for several months and have lost body fat and have increased my muscle size quite significantly. You seem to be going about this the right way, so keep doing what you're doing and I GUARANTEE you will achieve the results you are looking for. Great Job! :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I find it funny when people say you CAN'T gain muscle while eating at a deficit. That may be the case.. but in my understanding of how muscles grow you essentially damage the muscle fibers through stress and tension, the body repairs this damaged muscle thus resulting in larger muscles <-- "larger" muscles if you're in a calorie surplus, otherwise they won't typically grow in number of muscle cells, but will repair themselves a bit more efficient/stronger than before. Just not actually "larger" with additional muscle fiber cells.. So to say that you cant grow more muscle while eating at a deficit is saying that your muscles can't and won't heal themselves. You know because clearly your body loses its ability to repair and heal when you eat less calories?!?! Anyways, rant over.... I have been eating at a deficit for several months and have lost body fat and have increased my muscle size quite significantly. You seem to be going about this the right way, so keep doing what you're doing and I GUARANTEE you will achieve the results you are looking for. Great Job! :)