Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Reminisce? How did you feel your first week on MFP

It's my first week here, day 3 matter of fact, and I must say I am a bit surprised at how much more energy I have. When MFP suggested 1200 calories a week for my goal I was terrified, I thought here comes the headaches, no energy, etc. Lord knows the # of calories I was consuming prior. But, to my surprise those far, I have so much more energy only days in to joining, However, I find I stay in the kitchen & grocery store for fruits & veggies since I've been cooking at home more (still adjusting to that & the dishes) lol but I'm really liking the accountability and support this app offers. I've done WW in the past and had some success but the first week was always the worst....grumpy from the reduction of calories. Not feeling that thus far w MFP. So, pleasantly surprised. I also feel sharper. It's amazing how what you put in your body, effects your body, mind, and spirit.

I hope to remember that feeling when maybe I'm not getting the results as quickly as I might want. If you are up to sharing, how did you feel your 1st week or 2 on MFP?

Replies

• chocolatemartini77
    chocolatemartini77 Posts: 17 Member
    So encouraging to hear....congratulations on your 70 pds lost! Your blog will encourage those newbies who might feel frustrated, or overwhelmed in the beginning and reassures that If that's the case it's ok, don't give up, your efforts will pay off. You are a testimony that this journey is about persistence and staying with it. I love how you set realistic goals and worked toward them. I find the forums very helpful as well as well as my food scale. In retrospect, I think that it is because I've been on a plan before that I don't feel as overwhelmed (hence, me already having a food scale). I know that for me it is the being prepared food wise that I am adjusting to. For example, staying ahead of hunger pains. Like knowing that if I'm going to be out all day running errands, I need to have me a good protein breakfast and grab me a couple of apples, or oranges, string cheese in case hunger hits to prevent me from ending up in fast food drive through unexpectedly. It's all the little lifestyle daily changes that add up to results, and not being perfect.....and learning along the way.

Again, thank you for sharing and congrats on your weight loss. :)) woohoo
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I was doing my own plan for about 6 weeks before starting MFP, so my first week was just getting used to logging (I'd done it in the past at Livestrong, but MFP's database was far superior, once I figured it out, and easier to use). I was actually surprised that my own ideas about how to eat were resulting in far fewer calories than I'd realized and I used MFP to improve that somewhat, and loosen up to what was likely a more sustainable plan.

The biggest effect of MFP is that I think logging and joining a challenge and adding some friends and discovering the boards probably helped me sustain my commitment for the needed long term, although I suspect I was approaching everything in a more committed way for the first time in a long time anyway. I'd had a habit of starting and then things got tougher and I decided to way until later, and doing it at MFP (or something else about this time) helped me stay committed despite those struggling periods or imperfect periods.

But I guess that's outside the scope of the question -- my first couple weeks were a total honeymoon period, as I really enjoyed the logging process and thought MFP made it easy, and I did have fun meeting others who were doing one of the challenges, as then I didn't talk about weightloss outside of MFP with anyone.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    My first few days were just logging my then current diet. Compared to my recomended intake I was atleast a thousand calories in the red daily.

At that point I actually found making that first large cut suprisingly easy. I was still eating 2500 a day and nowhere near hungry. I started noticing the impulses that put me in the red before, and realized it was not hunger but habit driving me.

Started about 6 months ago and I'm down to just under 60lbs off right now, and that's with practically no exercise and spending the last week or two practicing maintenance rather than loss.

This week I'll be rejoining a gym and going into a slight surplus.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Week 1- I felt fine... nothing amazing in the first week but no real difficulty sticking to my goal. I was skeptical that I would lose weight because it seemed too easy but I was determined to give calorie counting and logging a good try. I was impressed with how vibrant and responsive the community was. I was inspired by my new MFP friends.
    Week 2- Halloween week. Learning how to fit candy or holiday foods into my plan right away. I got sick on Halloween so it was a bit disappointing not to enjoy what I had planned out and finished the day way under my calorie goal.
    Week 40- I've lost 24 lbs. I eat pretty normally. I feel great. Less pain. More flexible. My balance is better. I am breathing better. My energy level is much better. I pay more attention to things like protein or sodium. My clothes are getting a bit too loose. My weight loss is slowing down. Still very inspired by my MFP friends.