Fitbit!

Options
Hello all! I am getting back into a fitness routine and want to know if any of you use the Fitbit and if you have any tips!

Feel free to find and add me on Fitbit as well!

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I use a Flex and absolutely love it! It is the only Fitbit model that can be worn in water which is why I chose it (I swim 1.25 miles 3x a week and take a water aerobics class 3x a week). I find the steps counted to be very accurate and the TDEE it gives becomes very accurate after you have worn it for a few weeks (it then has actual data to extrapolate from rather than going just by algorithms).
  • chrisfwood
    chrisfwood Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit one, I would not get a wrist band version as they will pick up moving you arms about say while working at your desk thus they tend not to track steps as well from what I have read. I do the same walk most days and even then it can vary a lot on step count, okay so my stride length may vary over 6.5km from day to day depending on how hard I am pushing myself, but if you are doing more than tracking going to get a brew etc. you are better using the gps tracker on your phone in conjunction with the step tracker.
  • MrsR130
    MrsR130 Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just got a Charge HR and the Aria scale last night and really, really like it - definitely like the motivation aspect of it! And that I don't have to worry about not having my phone on me all the time (that's how I used to track steps).

I was walking around my living room last night to get the last steps to 10,000, hahaha. Guess I'm hooked. Plus my work pays quarterly health bonuses for hitting step goals, so it will pay for itself!

Which one do you have?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    chrisfwood wrote: »
    I use a fitbit one, I would not get a wrist band version as they will pick up moving you arms about say while working at your desk thus they tend not to track steps as well from what I have read. I do the same walk most days and even then it can vary a lot on step count, okay so my stride length may vary over 6.5km from day to day depending on how hard I am pushing myself, but if you are doing more than tracking going to get a brew etc. you are better using the gps tracker on your phone in conjunction with the step tracker.

I have the Flex, which is a wrist model, and I have noticed very few false steps. I have even sat at m desk and worked for an hour with no steps counted at all from arm movement, and I do move mine a lot.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I also have a Flex and really like it. I don't wear it in the shower though, and would not wear it to swim. The company does not recommend wearing any fitbit while submerged and this could void the warranty. The Fitbit official site does say they are water resistant down to 19 meters but goes on to say that they cannot withstand the pressures of swimming. Many people who have used one while swimming have been disappointed to discover that their tracker would no longer keep a charge.

Anyway I really like my Fitbit and have found it to be a valuable tool for calorie tracking.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I also have a Flex and really like it. I don't wear it in the shower though, and would not wear it to swim. The company does not recommend wearing any fitbit while submerged and this could void the warranty. The Fitbit official site does say they are water resistant down to 19 meters but goes on to say that they cannot withstand the pressures of swimming. Many people who have used one while swimming have been disappointed to discover that their tracker would no longer keep a charge.

Anyway I really like my Fitbit and have found it to be a valuable tool for calorie tracking.

My Flex was recommended for swimming. I wonder if they have changed some things? I have had it for 17 months now and have had no issues. It was rated 3 meters, not 19. All other Fitbit models are rated "Splash proof"

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR. Best present I ever bought for myself :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex as well. It is not currently advertised as swim proof (just water resistant). I enjoy it! The challenges are motivating. I am rarely at the top of the list, but I am not at the bottom either...
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I opted for the cheaper fitbit zip and love it. I've had it 2 years now and other than replacing a battery, which are cheap, I have had no trouble. It is very accurate and I walk 10000-18000 steps every day. It really keeps me on track. I also have a walking group that I moderate and many of us use fitbits. Good luck
  • TKeyWhis
    TKeyWhis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Fitbit Flex. It should be here in a day or two. I may need some help setting it up, or is it easy??
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I opted for the cheaper fitbit zip and love it. I've had it 2 years now and other than replacing a battery, which are cheap, I have had no trouble. It is very accurate and I walk 10000-18000 steps every day. It really keeps me on track. I also have a walking group that I moderate and many of us use fitbits. Good luck

I have the zip too, love it, good for tracking your calorie burn, and for the challenges :)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

My Flex was recommended for swimming. I wonder if they have changed some things? I have had it for 17 months now and have had no issues. It was rated 3 meters, not 19. All other Fitbit models are rated "Splash proof"

I have the Fitbit One. I didnt think it was water proof, but it survived an accidental trip in the washing machine today. Still works fine. Good thing I got to it before it hit the dryer!
  • chrisfwood
    chrisfwood Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    I have the Fitbit One. I didnt think it was water proof, but it survived an accidental trip in the washing machine today. Still works fine. Good thing I got to it before it hit the dryer!

My has been though the wash a few times they are water resistant, the dryer might be another matter but we don't use a dryer that much.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »

The One is advertised as "splash proof" which means it can get wet, just not immersed. Obviously there is some water resistance and many have gone through he washer, they just can't guarantee performance.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I use a Flex and absolutely love it! It is the only Fitbit model that can be worn in water which is why I chose it (I swim 1.25 miles 3x a week and take a water aerobics class 3x a week). I find the steps counted to be very accurate and the TDEE it gives becomes very accurate after you have worn it for a few weeks (it then has actual data to extrapolate from rather than going just by algorithms).

@earlnabby do you think the flex picks up swim strokes like front crawl or breast stroke ...incoming holiday and wondering whether to take mine for the days lolling by the pool?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

@earlnabby do you think the flex picks up swim strokes like front crawl or breast stroke ...incoming holiday and wondering whether to take mine for the days lolling by the pool?

I just checked and I received a grand total of 14 steps in the 80 minutes I swam on Friday. I do breast stroke only. Wednesday I totaled 19 steps in 75 minutes.

• Sued0nim
    Options

I just checked and I received a grand total of 14 steps in the 80 minutes I swam on Friday. I do breast stroke only. Wednesday I totaled 19 steps in 75 minutes.

LOL that's fairly conclusive then :)

Begs the question, why wear it though?
  • earlnabby
    edited July 2015
    Options

LOL that's fairly conclusive then :)

Begs the question, why wear it though?

I would forget to put it back on when I move from the lap pool to the warm pool for water aerobics, where I get about 3500-5000 steps, depending on how much time I have before class starts. I run in the water to keep my muscles warm from swimming. I wanted something that can be worn in water because I started out just doing water aerobics and some water jogging. The swimming came later.

ETA: swimming and water aerobics are the only exercises I log into MFP. The only other thing that gets automatically logged is when I use Map My Walk, which I run when I am plotting out a new route or when I am on a hiking club hike because we accumulate miles and get rewards for miles walked on official hikes. I don't use MMW for my daily mileage, I let my Fitbit figure all of that out.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    That makes sense

And thanks for the advice I'm going to just take my zip
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    TKeyWhis wrote: »
    I just ordered the Fitbit Flex. It should be here in a day or two. I may need some help setting it up, or is it easy??

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

In the MFP app, go to More > Steps and choose Fitbit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users