Is personal trainer worth it? Tell me your experience ?

Options

Replies

• nicoleexo2015
    nicoleexo2015 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a coach. She is a young lady that has been in competitive sports most of her life. She doesn't have any formal training but she is helping me get results in my weight training. I really believe that trainers should not be giving you advice on your diet. They are there to help you achieve greater performance. If you need someone to help get you motivated then that's what they are there for. A dietitian is always a great idea, they are health care professionals that have an insane amount of schooling (at least where I live in Canada). They are also going to help you lose weight safely with a healthy caloric deficit. I have heard some trainers suggest eating 800 or less calories while still working out for 6 days a week. That is insane and not based in science.

I wood probably faint with 800calories or less with working out

• nicoleexo2015
    Options
    I am so lucky my boyfriend is a strength coach so he helps me a lot. I think i'd be floundering about if i didnt have him. He has all these advice about the proper food to eat to gain muscle or lose fat or both. Plus how to have proper form in the exercises. Quality over quantity every single time.

It would be good to hire a coach at least for the first month if not always to get your form and healthy habits right. They are sooo worth the money. You learn so much! Saying that, i've read so many success stories on here who did it all on their own. So i guess in the end it's all up to you. If you have the budget, go ahead! It will make your weight loss journey that much easier having someone there teaching and pushing you to your limit. But they are not essential to your success.

Thank u for sharing that is very interesting. I just need help with my diet and weight lifting because I'm clueless lol
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Being a trainer by profession, I'll be the first to tell you that it WILL depend on the trainer you get. There are so many out there that have a cert, but lack a lot of common knowledge when it comes to physiology, kinesiology and basic nutrition.
    Find one by watching how they train others and whether or not you've seen some results with some of the clients. It's fine for a PT to be cordial and make their client laugh, but if there isn't some hard work or sweating going on too, then it's possible that PT is nothing more than just a talking partner who just gives directions without real direction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you for the info and yes I want someone who will push me
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think that if they're good, they couldn't help but be helpful.

I didn't care for the guy I tried. He started explaining muscle contraction to me. He had only the most basic understanding and even got part of that wrong. I didn't need an explanation on muscle contraction. I know more than enough already. And he wouldn't stop talking nutrition, which was annoying since I specifically said I just wanted workout advice and had weightlifting questions. Then I found out why he wouldn't shut up about muscle contractions and nutrition...

He had magical powders/shakes I could buy to assist me with getting my nutrients and having "solid" muscle. "Solid" was a word he liked a LOT. He also nodded his head a lot while talking about the powder. I think someone told him that if you nod your head, people will think "Yes, I should buy that."

When he found out that I really, truly was not going to buy his magic powder, he was pretty much done trying to help.

The first question I'd ask, were I to try again, would be, "Are you going to try to sell me stuff or will you help me with (whatever I want)?" A person who is good at their job wouldn't be offended, I don't think.

That is the type of PT I want to avoid
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    I haven't been fortunate in my experiences to have found a good trainer. They all (the 2 of them before I stopped bothering) didn't listen to what my goals were or what I wanted to do, didn't take what I was willing to do into consideration, and built me a plan I couldn't do because of my injury. It was a waste of time and money for me and I ended up more frustrated than anything else.

But that was just my experience. Others have different experiences.[/quote
    ]
    I'm sorry about that
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    spend the money on a CPT certification course, you will learn so much more, and be able to apply that knowledge to your specific situation with which you are already intimately familiar with.

ETA: ACSM CPT here, love it!

How much did it cost you? I'm already college student not sure if I can take on another class lol. But thank you
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Get a good one! I had one who was an idiot. Seriously, the woman told me I should ONLY be lifting the bar! only-new-yorkers-would-understand-8.gif

Lol wow
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    At my gym I got a personal trainer who I really liked. After a few sessions, I signed up for a half-year, paid in advance. He was a real young kid, but understood how to work with older clients, like myself. Then, the trainer quit to go to another gym. I never found another trainer who I worked well with. The next trainer was twenty years older, but had no idea how to work with older clients. I was scheduled for knee replacement surgery in six months, and I had specific orders from my doctor to avoid squats, lunges, and knee bends. This was in my paperwork and I told him personally. Next week, he tried to start me on squats and lunges -- I reminded him of my medical restrictions. Following week, he tried to start me on squats and lunges. Plus, he had recently lost 90 pounds himself, and never tired of bragging about it. I got so tired of hearing him talk about himself and never seem interested in me and my needs (you know, the paying client). And his nutritional advice was laughable.

I tried a couple other trainers, but there was never a good fit. They all knew one type of routine and tried to make you fit into it. I asked each about getting started on a heavy lifting program, and they said that wasn't a good idea. Sheesh! I finished out the sessions, just because I paid for them, and never signed up again.

That is very interesting thank you for sharing your experience I will look out for those things
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    A lot of them, they are just out to sell their goods and services, and will give nutritional advice with little actual value. But, not all of them are like that. So the trick is finding a good one.
    I guess it really depends on your goal. Do you need someone to motivate you, help set up workout schedules? Help you work on form and technique? Then perhaps it would be worth it, but be really careful if they start up any high-pressure sales stuff or do anything that makes you uncomfortable, don't put up with it.

Thank you for the suggestions and I will watch out for that . I need to work on my meal planning and my diet. When it comes to exercise I need more help with weight lifting/resistance training so I don't hurt myself. Because I have hurt myself before. Or just more effective workouts for me do at the gym and home

• KellyKat09
    KellyKat09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    He had magical powders/shakes I could buy to assist me with getting my nutrients and having "solid" muscle. "Solid" was a word he liked a LOT. He also nodded his head a lot while talking about the powder. I think someone told him that if you nod your head, people will think "Yes, I should buy that.

Rolling with giggles. Thanks for that
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and your advice. I am having a difficult time responding to some people's responses
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer; he was great on the lifting side of things, first time i had ever lifted heavy, and i definitely noticed a difference in my strength and it gave me a good platform for carrying on in my own time at the gym. However, i was looking for something that would set me up long term, and when it came to the nutrition side of things he tried to get me to give up bead. Not happening.

Plus, he said that he would check my food diary very week, take fat and inches measurements before and after, before and after pics.....none of that happened either,.

The mount i paid definitely wasn't worth the half-arsed service i received; in all honesty, i should have probably just done a couple of 'one off' sessions to learn the basics of what i wanted to know then carried on myself.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Not worth the money IMO. You can get some great training routines for any kind of goal you might have online, for free. The only thing that would be useful is them telling you if your form is good or needs improvement, but many will do that without needing to hire them.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've worked with two personal trainers. Both were excellent at helping me focus on my activity goals. Of course you can do this yourself, but having a trainer is excellent for helping you establish a baseline and helping you progress. The problem with generic information on websites is you don't know how much weight to start with and you may not know when to increase those weights.

They're also good for checking your form - of course, as someone said, you can get that feedback often without paying for it, but the advantage to working with someone on an ongoing basis is the "personal" in personal trainer.

Personal trainers should not be giving you diet plans. That is out of their scope of practice unless they are also dietician. They should give you general guidelines for healthy living.

As with anything else, you'll get out of the experience what you put into it.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry for C&P but I posted this recently and think its appropriate here
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Oh and he leaves my diet to me, doesn't upsell anything, has 14 years experience, continues to improve his skills and never lets me do the same thing twice.

Oh and this is what my training is like with him
    rabbitjb wrote: »

My personal trainer is the best

I swear at him and he raises an eyebrow at me and sometimes kicks me and I tell him how much I hate him and he laughs at me. And I laugh back. (I might be a bit weird but it works for me)

And I look forward to it every week, and I hate it whilst I'm doing it, apart from those moments I think "bloody hell look at me, look at what I can do or holy hell, I just lifted that 12 times in a row or damn I just managed an unassisted pull up"

But then I wimp out or I stop before I've completed my reps or b!tch about something and he kicks me again (generally metaphorically but he has been known to actually kick me) .. And I leave exhilarated

I rather love it :bigsmile: and seeing him once a week makes me hit the gym more often alone and keeps my motivation high, and improves my form.

Ex chronically lazy couch potato...current fit(ish), stronger person

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    When I started with a PT, he immediately recognized that I had significant flexibility and balance issues that I didn't even know that I had, let alone know how to address - I thought it was normal that my head was 4 inches off the ground when lying flat on my back. He has made that much more the focus of my training than I would have on my own, to my great benefit. For a while, I had to routinely send the message that I wasn't interested in his nutrition advise or buying the portions and powders the gym sells, but once he got that message, it has been a very good relationship. Bottom line, I don't think that everyone will benefit from one and it goes without saying that there are bad ones, but a good one cannot only help you reach your goals, he/she can help you objectively define your goals. Googling workout plans can't do that.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I'm at s huge gym. Lots of trainers. I watched them and have had a few for the 4 hour package deals.

I had objectives at each step. They all (3) over 18 months taught me new things I put in my workout tool kit.

The last one was a woman that teaches a morning boot camp. I got all kinds of torso exercises and kettle bell exercises from her. She had the tight torso and buns of steel I wanted

It is always a bit of a crap shoot. Watching them and you having a goal helps.

I definitely recommend trainers as you reach readiness for new challenges

And if you get one, bust *kitten* and do the routine ! Can't blame them if you only half try and it does not work.

• grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    They are totally worth it! I would have one all the time if I could afford one
  • MirandaD0313
    MirandaD0313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a personal trainer which helps keep me on track as well. Having a personal trainer doesn't mean he's going to be behind you saying don't eat this don't do that. He or she is just there to point you in the right direction. With or without a personal trainer still means you have to learn to have your own self control.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a personal trainer which helps keep me on track as well. Having a personal trainer doesn't mean he's going to be behind you saying don't eat this don't do that. He or she is just there to point you in the right direction. With or without a personal trainer still means you have to learn to have your own self control.

This! Exactly! They're there to point you in the right direction and kick your bum into high gear once you start moaning and bitching like you cant do it anymore. My boyfriend and I have a love/hate relationship in the gym. Lol! I hate him during workouts as he's so hard on me but I love him for it afterwards. Hahahaha!