How do you keep going?

I get started and then within a week or 2 I stop and I gain everything back that I lost. How do I keep going without quitting? I just can't keep going and with my crazy cravings keep getting worse and worse it makes it even harder. Any ideas?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2015
    Maybe you are restricting your daily calories too much. What do you have it set at on MFP? Your goal per week?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Change goal to 1 pound per week for loss. :)
    Include fats in your diet a long with lots and lots of veggies.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I get started and then within a week or 2 I stop and I gain everything back that I lost. How do I keep going without quitting? I just can't keep going and with my crazy cravings keep getting worse and worse it makes it even harder. Any ideas?

What's the alternative to not keeping going?

And what outcome would that produce?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Why do you binge? Hunger? Desire? Just sick of dieting? Caving in? Emotional eating?

It might be good to figure out the Why so that you can know how to stop.

Me, I keep going because I want to be healthy. #1 goal. I want that a lot! Looking better is a bonus (!) but health comes first. I cannot be dissuaded - not even by Krispy Kremes, which I had a hard time passing in the store today. I believe that weight loss begins in the grocery store. Don't buy it, can't eat it! :)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Exactly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I didn't keep going until my health was becoming a problem, and I found a WOE that worked for me so my cravings were reduced. Keep going. Maybe next you'll find that motivation or WOE that works for you.

Best wishes.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

This.
    But I will also add:
    You mentioned cravings, are you restricting types of foods? Becuase the best thing about CICO is that you don't have to. Eat literally anything you want (unless you have certain health conditons), maintian a calorie deficit, and you WILL lose weight.
    Another thing you may consider: is your calorie deficit too steep? Yeah, it may slow down your loss a bit to have a smaller deficit, but if it keeps you from quitting, then you're still winning. Make sure you're eating back at least some of your exericse calories, as well. Your deficit is built in BEFORE exercising, and you may be creating too much of a deficit by not eating back at least some of your exercise calories.

• PennieCarrel
    PennieCarrel Posts: 10 Member
    Well I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. So my doctor has me eating low salt, low fat, low cholesterol, low calorie, and low carb diet. I want to get healthy and not have to take pills for my problems. I start eating healthy and I guess I am stress eater. But I barely eat any ways. When i crave sugar candy ice cream (mostly and only what I crave) I tend to go over board. Like a lg milk shake or other things like that. And hubby gets to eat whatever he wants with no consequence. We also avoid the artificial sweetner (makes everything worse), high fructose corn syrup and other items that just makes me very moody and onry. lol
  • PennieCarrel
    My calorie is set at 1800. But yesterday I only ate about 1300 of that and that was only cause we went out to eat for our anniversary.
  • PennieCarrel
    edited July 2015
    My doctor never gave me any numbers just eat low this low that. I lowered some of the goals for the sodium since I try to go no salt added. I try to eat things that are low in salt.
  • jaevans66
    jaevans66 Posts: 4 Member
    Spread your meals out 5to 6 meals small portions helps to fight off hunger. don't forget you still need carbs so don't go to low and essential fats are very important.keeping going and adjust your macros to suit your lifestyle get used to the calorie allowance then adjust the macro to what the doctor as advised slowly to allow yor body to get used to the new diet
  • PennieCarrel
    Thanks you guys are so helpful.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited July 2015
    If your doctor tells you to do something, do THAT, not what you read here. Your doctor knows more about medicine and about you. Follow THOSE instructions, not what you see here or on WebMD or hear from friends and family.

If you think the doctor is wrong,get you second opinion from another doctor, not the Internet.

If you're unsure about what foods to eat, call the office and get a referral to a dietitian who can help you. They get the info of what you need from the doctor and work with you to create a plan specifically for you, with your tastes and preferences worked in and will explain it all. It's the best hour you can spend on your diet. :)
  • PennieCarrel
    I was considering doing that. Im already on meds for hbp but i do not want to go on med for my cholesterol.
  • MsNeumann
    MsNeumann Posts: 75 Member
    Having a great group of friends on here is so helpful and what helps me to keep logging in every day. I'm having more success with less perceived effort than I did on WW. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I'm on here every day and try to support and encourage my friends!
  • bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    Low fat, low carb...good grief, you deserve to be ornery :)

I get that you and your doc are trying to avoid medication by changing your diet....but seriously, consult a dietician or nutritionist. Your doc prob has no clue and they all seem to believe low carb is the only way to lose

Good luck!