Feeling sick after eating 5/8 of 1 cake slice

Options
I just got back from a birthday party. There was so much fattening food, but there were healthy options. I chose the healthy options and I saved my calories for dessert. There was a sign next to this fondant-covered, three-tiered cake that said one layer was red velvet and the other was banana. I wanted the banana.

So after helping the mother of the birthday boy cut the cake and only having a small taste of the fondant. It was delicious and I felt fine. But when I finally got a slice of the banana cake, with fondant on it, I found I couldn't finish it. Typically, I have no problems finishing cake, but this one was way too sweet! I felt sick after eating it.

Is it normal after watching your calories for a while to start feeling sick after eating junk food and sweets?

And what are some of your experiences with that if you've experienced it?

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find that I 'need' less of anything that's very processed, fatty, sweet etc. I wouldn't say I've lost the taste totally but I'm happier with a much smaller portion and it often doesn't make my stomach happy.
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    yeah i noticed i was satisfied after a small slice of boston bun this morning. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Nope. I can still chow down some cake. Fondant is really more of a decoration than a food. Maybe that made you feel yucky
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Honestly? No, I haven't started feeling that way
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are caktose intolarant or have a caketent allergy?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Hehe :D
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options

Lol
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't get this from sugars, but I sure do get it after eating something greasy/oily (read:most takeaway food). I get the most awful stomach cramps.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    After dishing out a small portion of ice cream the other day, after the fifth little spoonful I gave the rest to the kid. It started to taste not good anymore.

Bizarro! Never happened before.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It was probably bad cake, lol!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I get this too with most unhealthy foods now, but sugary things in particular seem to give me stomach pains, which never happened before. I'm glad it's not just me!
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm minimizing sugar (except in my morning coffee) and salt for the last few months, the other day I had a small cup of ice cream and WOW it was almost unbearably sweet. Went to a company picnic and loaded my hamburger with about 5 pieces of lettuce, 3 slices of tomatos, onions, etc. It was an average dice quarter pounder but I felt completely full after eating 2/3 of it (and some garden salad ).
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It was probably bad cake, lol!

It could've been the fondant. That stuff is wayy too sweet!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Actually there can be a scientific reasoning behind it. Gut flora or, more appropriately, gut microbiota, The compositions of microbiota rely on several factors like host diet, colonization history, and immune status.

Studies and statistical analyses have identified the different bacterial genera in gut microbiota and their associations with nutrient intake. Gut microflora is mainly composed of three enterotypes: Prevotella, Bacteroides and Ruminococcus.

There is an association between the concentration of each microbial community and dietary components. For example, Prevotella is related to carbohydrates and simple sugars, indicating an association with a carbohydrate-based diet more typical of agrarian societies, while Bacteroides is associated with animal proteins, amino acids and saturated fats, components typical of a Western diet. That means that one enterotype will dominate over the other depending on the diet - those who eat plenty of protein and animal fats have predominantly Bacteroides bacteria, while for those who consume more carbohydrates the Prevotella species dominate....

Basically a sudden change in long term eating habits could cause you to feel unwell.

FYI: I sourced this from Wikipedia (sigh I know) but there is plenty of information out there with similar findings.

ETA: Sugar=/=devil and this just shows a well balanced or diverse diet can be beneficial.
  • Camomilejane
    Camomilejane Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I still love cake...I just have to keep working hard to burn the calories!
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    I
    Actually there can be a scientific reasoning behind it. Gut flora or, more appropriately, gut microbiota, The compositions of microbiota rely on several factors like host diet, colonization history, and immune status.

Studies and statistical analyses have identified the different bacterial genera in gut microbiota and their associations with nutrient intake. Gut microflora is mainly composed of three enterotypes: Prevotella, Bacteroides and Ruminococcus.

There is an association between the concentration of each microbial community and dietary components. For example, Prevotella is related to carbohydrates and simple sugars, indicating an association with a carbohydrate-based diet more typical of agrarian societies, while Bacteroides is associated with animal proteins, amino acids and saturated fats, components typical of a Western diet. That means that one enterotype will dominate over the other depending on the diet - those who eat plenty of protein and animal fats have predominantly Bacteroides bacteria, while for those who consume more carbohydrates the Prevotella species dominate....

Basically a sudden change in long term eating habits could cause you to feel unwell.

FYI: I sourced this from Wikipedia (sigh I know) but there is plenty of information out there with similar findings.

ETA: Sugar=/=devil and this just shows a well balanced or diverse diet can be beneficial.

Thanks for the information.