The Very Real Risks of Consuming Too Much Protein

Options
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/too-much-protein.aspx

From Dr Joseph Mercola....Eating more protein than your body needs can interfere with your health and fitness goals, including weight gain, extra body fat, stress on your kidneys, chronic dehydration, and leaching of important bone minerals.

Your body needs protein, the primary building block for cells, muscles, and bones. It also helps preserve lean muscle that is typically lost with age. High quality proteins from pasture raised animals are more easily used by your body than those from plants.

That said, there is an upper limit to how much protein your body can actually use. On average, Americans consume three to five times more protein than they need.

When you consume too much protein, your body must remove more nitrogen waste products from your blood, which stresses your kidneys.

Most people need 40 to 70 grams of protein per day (the CDC's general protein recommendation for adults is 46 g a day for women, and 56 g a day for men). Rarely does a person than this—the exception for those who are aggressively exercising (or competing) and pregnant women.

Replies

• freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    qvyco5tlbaie.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mercola is a hack.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm prolly gonna die then. I'm up 7 pounds from being at a bbq for 6 hours. Brisket. Ribs. Carnitas. Pulled pork. Bacon wrapped jalapenos.
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Kahuo5A.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Lol. Mercola.

Most people need 40 to 70 grams of protein per day (the CDC's general protein recommendation for adults is 46 g a day for women, and 56 g a day for men). Rarely does a person than this—the exception for those who are aggressively exercising (or competing) and pregnant women.

I can't find CDC's recommendation for protein atm but my understanding was those are the MINIMUM requirements.

And pregnant woman aren't supposed to eat too much protein IIRC.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Lol... I'm 108lbs and eat 120-150g protein and I dont even try, its just how I eat :joy:
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well Mercola maya not be the best source of information but he wouldn't be the only person saying this. I agree too much protein is not healthy.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I'm prolly gonna die then. I'm up 7 pounds from being at a bbq for 6 hours. Brisket. Ribs. Carnitas. Pulled pork. Bacon wrapped jalapenos.

RIP Mikaela, you will be missed.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    hehehe. He said "Mercola".
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    7f5915c1484e32ff1b67249e5f4e5f79.jpg
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    oh snap, anyone notice the jammin, super PC car he is rockin' in his pic?
    b71fd5d5f589938d0478d855d0bb4077.jpg
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    labohn91 wrote: »

I get that too much protein isn't good, but the op smells like a troll.
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    labohn91 wrote: »

I get that too much protein isn't good, but the op smells like a troll.

NOOOOOOO!!!!! PROTEIN IS THE BEST NUTRIENT TO OVER-CONSUME ON A DIET!!! if nothing else the tef of protein means it's only 3.4 calsish...so thats like an extra 100 cals per day on 200g!
  • longtimeterp
    edited July 2015
    Options
    and i think he was refering to the OP as a troll
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What is a man that exercises regularly suppose to do with 46g of protein a day? Lol.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    His source for that is a 2003 study (well, he used a Livestrong article that briefly mentioned this study) that only studied women and appears to have relied on self-reporting. Why he's yammering on about aging males and such I don't know.

Enjoy your 46 grams of protein, maybe skinny fat will become the next new body craze.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Anyone providing an opinion while trying to sell you a product or idea/plan is self serving, and I don't put stock in such sources.

The USDA recommends 0.8g/kg/day for protein, for the general public. That is sufficient for 95% of the population.

For athletes their recommendation is anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7, depending on type and intensity. You'll get recommendations all over the place for how much you should or shouldn't try to eat from other sources. And no, your not an athlete if you spend 4-6 hrs a week in the gym/working out.

Medical Studies testing the muscle sparing effectiveness of protein while under heavy caloric restriction have shown that anything in excess of ~ 1.5g/kg is wasted, having no measurable effect.

I aim for 1g/kg, but am quite happy if I fall anywhere between the 0.8-1.5g/kg range. It has been very effective for me, over the course of the last 6 months. I have maintained muscle mass while gaining strength on a StrongLifts 5x5 plan, while losing an average of 2lbs. week.