Going to try to cut out sugar

i signed up for this app yesterday and am going to try to cut sugar out of my diet... (Processed sugar). My problem is not that I get hungry, but I eat junk food. Any tips? Add me as a friend if you want, as I'm looking for as much support as possible!

Replies

• lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    I'm trying to do that as well, but you can still have everything you want but you just have to count those calories. I would really not think it too wise to just "cut out sugar altogether". It's too big a change to fast for someone who has a sweet tooth, in my opinion. For instance, I had a birthday recently and my husband bought a cake so I knew I was gonna have some (and some ice cream) so I modified ahead of time what I would eat that day in order to accommodate it. I ate a 3" square (as the myfitness food database said and a 1/2 cup ice cream. I'll be honest...I had a big learning curve when it came to the actual calories-per-serving. And, the "serving size" on most things is just not realistic so you have to watch that closely or your calories will be over the top. BTW, chocolate truffles are only 25 calories each and you can bet I work that in every now and then (smile). So, you can have your cake and eat it, too! On a day like that, I would make sure to keep other carbs very low. Good luck!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Are you never going to have a chocolate bar again, no cake, no ice cream etc? - better to learn moderation now than do too drastic a change and binge later.

As for getting hungry = make sure you have a good amount of protein in your meals, eat more veg and don't cut the fats out - fats are sating.

Have a read of this thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • GypsyByTheSea
    GypsyByTheSea Posts: 529 Member
    If you just signed up yesterday - take one thing at a time. First, meet your calorie goals for a couple of weeks. Then start watching and trying to balance your macros (protein, carbs, fat). Then tackle the micros. Cutting out sugar is not necessary to lose weight, unless you have health issues. If you try and make huge changes all at once - you're going to crash and burn. Eating all junk food will make it hard to stay in your calorie goal and not be hungry. Spending 2 weeks or so working on meeting that goal will be eye opening! Good luck.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    I try to limit my sugar as well, I still sometimes go over because of the fruit I eat. I also like to have a bowl of ice cream from time to time. I agree with the previous poster, learn what the serving sizes are, use a food scale and track the foods as accurately as possible.