walking it off?

Options
Hi. I am trying once again to restart my weight loss program. My goal has been to walk/run at least 2.0 miles everyday on my treadmill (more walking than running). It seems like a easy goal right? I started last week. I missed a day already and I feel guilty for it. I am trying to work on building my distance. My question is have you had success just walking to shed pounds, or have you had to incorporate other exercises? I used to be more active but as I have gotten older and lazier I find it harder to motivate. Trust me I do not like trying to run on my treadmill but I want to become healthier and l am looking to shed some pounds. I have plenty to shed. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :smile:

Looking for new friends to help motivate me in my journey!

Replies

• mindyrae22
    mindyrae22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would love to run, but just cannot seem to do it. I have been walking for years now (even before my weight loss goals to help minimize knee pain) and I have noticed that it doesn't speed up the weight loss as much as I would like, but you are buring calories so it helps. However, if you are doing a nice solid and brisk walk it helps with toning different areas. That is enough for me!
  • nicolealison
    nicolealison Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda, I read your post. Walking is actually a better weight loss program than running. Running does tone things up but, if you walk at an incline, you are carrying your own weight. My old personal trainer at the gym told me to do intervals with inclines on the treadmill because you really work your legs (your biggest muscles) while hoisting your own weight up the hill.
    Let's get together and walk the Flood Control Channel this week sometime ... or next week.
    Its all about consistency. Just moving for 20 or more minutes a day helps boost your metabolism and get things moving. Remember, you can also be consuming too few calories if you aren't careful and that will help store weight. Salads are so low in calories they don't really offer your body any fuel to use so keep that in mind.
    I know several people who walked daily (and missed a day here and there ... you do need a rest day for optimum results) and lost a ton of weight.
    Every trainer I've ever talked to, Dr. Oz and others all say counting calories doesn't always work. If you stay healthy, allow yourself a cheat now and then to shock your system, and keep moving, things will start to move.
    You can do this.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to walk!! And I've done quite well with it but I've got to say, I've really fallen in love with intervals!! I usually run for 1 min and walk for 2 or any other variation after a 5 min warm up and go for as long as I can. I use a heart rate monitor and wow talk about a great calorie burn!!!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    you do not have to run if you dont want to. Vary your inclines and vary your speed. You can get a great workout. Today I did 10 minutes at 4.0 2mph, then about 5 minutes at 15 incline and 3.6 speed. I varied it for the time I was on. I jogged here andthere as well. Try to lose the all or nothing thought process. Good luck!
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I started off walking, but soon used the Couch to 5K program to get into running. I find that running, doing Zumba, going on walks (minimum of 6 miles for me) and doing some weight training works for me.

It may take a little trial & error, but find what works for you and that you like.
  • JuiceBars
    JuiceBars Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been a walker for several years now and last year took on the couch to 5k program with a friend of mine. I now run a few times a week for a few miles but would rather walk at a fast pace to get the job done. I found that walking is a great form of exercise however you have to challenge yourself. If you throw in a few minutes of running here and there during your time on your treadmill you will find that you do eventually build endurance. Just remember, as your body gets more conditioned, it also gets more efficient with calorie burn so you must continue to challenge yourself- either with incline, speed intervals, and the like. Good luck! Friend me if you would like. I always have room for motivated friends :)
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The first 3 months of my weight loss (and first 25 lbs) was mostly walking it off.

I started really increasing my exercise level after that and switched goals from weight loss to body recomp.

It's possible to lose weight while doing no exercise at all even, but low impact activity like walking allows you to eat a little more while still losing weight.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My grandmother had to have a quintuple bypass. Afterwards, she lost 50 pounds doing nothing but walking. She lived 25 more years, and just recently passed away at the age of 101.