Old and fat - Is interval training a good idea?

Options
2»

Replies

• madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I so appreciate all the feedback and advice! I just love the support here on these message boards! <3;)
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If 51 is old, I'm in trouble!! 50 is in my near future and I'm in the best shape EVER!! I started at 208 lbs and now I'm at 151 with real MUSCLE!! Lose that "old" mentality!! You will be surprised at what you CAN do.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    LOL to all of you who commented on my "old" remark. I titled my post that way to draw all of you in. :) It seemed like a good attention grabber. RDLewis - Congrats on your achievement! You must be so proud of yourself. You inspire me!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Your intervals are set by you

You could walk fast and then walk slow.

HIIT should not be considered at all

I started 20 months ago with about 140 lbs of bodyfat I don't have now

My interval was slow to fast walk

Take it easy and just stay the course. Gradually add difficulty.

Make an interval a little bit faster

Keep up the good work !!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    IMO yes to regular intervals for non-impact cardio only (rowing machine, bike, elliptical, swimming). I would NOT run on a treadmill (or anywhere) if I were you (or me). +1 for building up to it, too.
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am 57 and have lost 25 kgs with the help of interval training on an indoor rower. Get a good heart rate monitor and know your HR rates for your age. You will get to know your limits and the best ranges for you. I read lots of info on here and the Concept 2 rowing forum has been a huge help for me. I have my chart on the wall by my rower and watch my HR on the Performance Monitor. You just need to build up to it. Hope this helps?