What are your go to sources for protein?

Options

Replies

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I go for tuna or salmon. Although i try and make all my snacks protein based too, so usually go for 'bite sized' things such as cocktail sausages and chicken bites. And one of my favourites at the moment are egg muffins, i usually make them using chorizo and other meats.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    My go to's:
    Chicken - I eat tons of chicken
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Cod

This is pretty much where it's at. Although I keep getting parasitic worms in my cod. You can pick them out but it's kinda gross, I suggest you don't buy it from Costco if you have a gag reflex for that sort of thing. So I've been eating other white fish instead. Namely mahi mahi, talapia, hake, and I enjoy catfish.

*adds cod to list of foods never to eat again

That's so f***ing foul. Have you said anything to Costco about it?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My go to's:
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Cod

This is pretty much where it's at. Although I keep getting parasitic worms in my cod. You can pick them out but it's kinda gross, I suggest you don't buy it from Costco if you have a gag reflex for that sort of thing. So I've been eating other white fish instead. Namely mahi mahi, talapia, hake, and I enjoy catfish.

I understand that this is just par for the course with farmed fish, which is usually cheaper :/ I guess it's more protein :/

(here's the right link for that recipe: http://familystylefood.com/2009/08/julia-childs-bouillabaisse-recipe/ )
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Meat, cheese, milk, eggs, Greek yogurt, more meat. Oh and quest bars are good!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Pork chops and tenderloin are typically quite lean, so deserve a mention.
    I'm not sure what it is about pork but I get a headache every time I eat it. Thanks for the suggestion for cottage cheese I will try it as a side to my breakfast

Just be mindful of the high sodium content in cottage cheese or you could find yourself retaining water and be upset with us LOL
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Chicken, eggs, cheese, quinoa and greek yogurt are where I get most of my protein from.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    My go to's:
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Cod

Gross, don't pick it out, complain to Costco about it and demand a refund. (which they'll give you, take the fish to the CS counter and let them see the problem if need be)
    Quietly picking out parasitic worms just perpetuates the problem onto other Costco customers, like me. ;)

My go-to (easy and most frequent) protein sources are protein bars (Quest, Pure Protein), 2% cottage cheese, non-fat Greek yogurt, skim mozzarella, eggs and egg whites.

I also like both tinned salmon, and ground turkey. But lean chicken and fish are great sources of protein.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fish and chicken
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    quinoa
    peanut butter
    tofu
    chia seeds
    lentils
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    If you can get it alligator is one of the more protein dense food and tastes great
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I try to keep some boiled eggs in the fridge, they are easy to grab.
    Also tuna or canned salmon (I eat the salmon right out of the can)
    Greek yogurt
    Balance bars (my favorite brand!)
    Natural (raw) almonds
    cheese (although you have to be careful of the fat, so moderation here)
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I was doing chicken breast a lot, but got tired of it, now I often have chicken thigh which imo is much more flavorful..I'm slowly branching out like you..next test will be ground turkey!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    • eggs
    • Canadian bacon
    • edamame
    • ground turkey
    • chicken breasts and chicken thighs
    • canned salmon
    • canned kippers (herring)
    • canned sardines
    • halibut and other fishes
    • shrimp
    • beef and pork jerky
    • pork loin
    • roast beef

These were my main sources when I was on a high protein diet. I wound up avoiding cottage cheese because for some reason my weight always jumped up after I had it. It may have been the way I was preparing it (savoury rather than sweet - with a lot of chili sauce, so I think it made me retain water). I also used Fage greek yogurt when preparing sauces as a way to get in a little extra protein, but I rarely sat down and just ate a bowl of it.

I recently discovered gelatin/collagen that quick dissolves, and I've been adding a couple of tablespoons to my morning coffee so I get a little extra protein that way.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Grains beans broccoli nuts
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My go to's:
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Cod

Thank you so very much for killing my appitite for the rest of the day :joy:
    I don't have anything to add to all these awesome ideas, but you should have gotten plenty of ideas now, OP :love:
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    EGGS/ egg whites, ground beef, chicken, bacon, sausage, turkey, almonds, beef jerky, quest bar, blended protein shake, keilbasa, pepperoni, salami, walnuts. I do the ketogenic diet and get 200g a day no problem.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My go to's:
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Cod

Lol. It's totally normal, cod is more prone to worms than other fish. Usually the fish mongers pick them out before they get packaged, that's why you don't typically see them. The suppliers for Costco probably just don't care enough haha.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Here's a list I made for myself of foods I enjoy that have more than their fair share of protein:

Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Swiss cheese
    Eggs
    Milk
    Steak
    Chicken breast
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Tilapia
    Anchovies
    Tuna