Would you call this workout circuit training, HIIT or something else?

Options
whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
I go to a gym that offers small group classes exclusively (except for personal training) and I never know how to log the exercise. How would you classify it? We do:
  • 10 minutes on an elliptical strider. During this 10 minutes we are challenged with different levels of resistance, speed and positioning on the strider. Sometimes sprints at 90-100 rpms with lower resistance, sometimes really high resistance at lower rpms, etc., all mixed up in 10 mins.
  • 10 mins of a combination of bodyweight and resistance training using resistance bands and sometimes light (7.5 - 15 pound) weights, all while keeping heart rate up. While these exercises focus on one major body area, i.e. legs, upper body or core, they are all compound exercises, not ones that isolate specific muscles
  • 10 minutes of an intense combination of .5 miles on the strider, usually done as fast as possible at a medium resistance, and two resistance or bodyweight exercises, normally 10-20 reps for each exercise before quickly rotating to the next one. The challenge is to complete as many full sets of strider and bodyweight/ resistance exercises as possible within the 10 minutes, with no rest between any of the exercises
  • 10 minutes of additional bodyweight or resistance exercises that target a different body part (for example, if we targeted arms/upper back earlier now we'll focus on abs/core). These are usually done without an emphasis on keeping the heart rate up, but doing the exercises with good form.
With 30-60 second rest breaks and sometimes some stretching each class is 45 minutes.

How would you log this? I've been logging it as circuit training.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "Intense" in exercise means you're dead after 20-ish seconds - you're not going "intense", in the physiolgocal sense.

I would log it as 40 minutes of walking.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Cross training? I have no idea if this site uses that category since I don't log exercise here.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Circuit training.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    "Intense" in exercise means you're dead after 20-ish seconds - you're not going "intense", in the physiolgocal sense.

That is absurd, and not even close to what she has done. Did you misread or are you trying to be bellicose?

OP: I agree with those who say Circuit Training.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Circuit training.

+1
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

seriously? It might not be your version of "intense" but its definitely more than walking!

OP - I would also log it as circuit
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

That is absurd, and not even close to what she has done. Did you misread or are you trying to be bellicose?

There is not much burn in that circuit, and MFP overestimates walking burns by about 2x.

I stand by my estimate.

Sorry if it's not what you want hear - but that's really not my problem.

:drinker:
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options

There is not much burn in that circuit, and MFP overestimates walking burns by about 2x.

I stand by my estimate.

It doesn't matter whether you agree with the amount of burn acquired during her workout or how MFP assesses the quality thereof. She didn't ask about how accurate the MFP burn total was. She asked how to classify the type of workout she had.

You answered a question that wasn't asked. As such, your answer was incorrect.

I don't have any problems.

If you want to be flippant and arrogant on a forum where people are trying to be friendly and helpful, knock yourself out. It certainly doesn't endear members to want to pay attention to what one has to say, when he or she acts in such a manner.
  • DavPul
    Options

I stand by my estimate.

It doesn't matter whether you agree with the amount of burn acquired during her workout or how MFP assesses the quality thereof. She didn't ask about how accurate the MFP burn total was. She asked how to classify the type of workout she had.

If you want to be flippant and arrogant on a forum where people are trying to be friendly and helpful, knock yourself out. It certainly doesn't endear members to want to pay attention to what one has to say, when he or she acts in such a manner.

To be fair, the OP asked how to log. So I'm assuming she wants to know so that she can get an accurate calorie burn amount, not so she can get attagirls on what a killer workout she did. To that end he's on point. Everyone is crying because they think he's downing the workout when he's actually downing the burn rate.

It really doesn't matter if people wish to listen or watch prefer to have 2 spoons of sugar with their truth. They'll either get it right or they won't, but that's on them, not the messenger
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You could ask the instructor his/her opinion. It sounds like circuit training to me, AND it sounds like a great workout regardless of what you call it. Attagirl!

>>So I'm assuming she wants to know so that she can get an accurate calorie burn amount, not so she can get attagirls on what a killer workout she did.<<
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I stand by my estimate.

To be fair, the OP asked how to log. So I'm assuming she wants to know so that she can get an accurate calorie burn amount, not so she can get attagirls on what a killer workout she did. To that end he's on point. Everyone is crying because they think he's downing the workout when he's actually downing the burn rate.

It really doesn't matter if people wish to listen or watch prefer to have 2 spoons of sugar with their truth. They'll either get it right or they won't, but that's on them, not the messenger

If we all assume something that the OP did not write, then a case can be built on the correctness of Mr. Knight's post. Even then, his post would not be accurate, as it would require even more assumption than what you brought forth.

Recognizing that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion on this matter as well as any other, I don't believe it wise to assume facts not in evidence. That makes for a poor foundation upon which to build.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm interested in logging as accurately as possible.

No way is the burn rate for this workout the same as walking. That's just ridiculous. And if "intense" in exercise means you're dead after 20 seconds, I guess everyone who does High Intensity Interval Training is now dead.

Thank you to those who provided helpful feedback.
  • DavPul
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I stand by my estimate.

If we all assume something that the OP did not write, then a case can be built on the correctness of Mr. Knight's post. Even then, his post would not be accurate, as it would require even more assumption than what you brought forth.

Recognizing that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion on this matter as well as any other, I don't believe it wise to assume facts not in evidence. That makes for a poor foundation upon which to build.

Not making any assumptions would be an incredibly inefficient way to forum
  • mshanepace
    mshanepace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is a form of circuit training. HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training. The way it works is you coast for something like two minutes and then go full out for like thirty seconds, times change depending on levels of ability to do.

It sounds like you're doing intervals but not HIIT. Intervals meaning that you're changing your intensity up and down during your routine. Pretty much, all working out is SOMEWHAT interval training. In fact insanity is kind of a reverse HIIT training, hopefully that helps to explain this. HIIT is very effective.

That being said, moving is moving... :-)