Weight loss or gain muscle what should I focus?

Options
Hello friends,

It's been 8 months into my fitness journey, I have lost around 14 kilograms of weight and added little bit of muscle. I ate in deficit during first 5 months. Now last three months have been eating in maintainence. I have improved a lot in terms of lifting strength. Also I look quite good in clothes. But if you look at my current pics. There is quite a lot of fat around my chest tummy and all over my body,
Should I start eating in deficit again and loose another 5 kilogram weight to look good without T-shirt. Currently weigh 71 kg 165 cm tall. 33 years old

Thanks in advance. Looking for your suggestions and new friends.

q8jhfjv3g5yd.jpg
yiu1924e8z4f.jpg
vnypby4rgnh4.jpg

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a 250 deficit while continuing to lift heavy.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This. Try to get down to about 10-12% BF before going to muscle building phase. I'd say you're around 15-16% at the moment.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight in Freedom measurements?

Just kidding, any-who, you still need to cut IMO. I would have a small calorie deficit, keeping protein levels around .8/1g per kg lean body mass, and continue lifting heavy. Once you're down to ATLEAST lower level teens body fat, i wouldn't be worrying about bulking.

Just my opinion. :)
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Just kidding, any-who, you still need to cut IMO. I would have a small calorie deficit, keeping protein levels around .8/1g per kg lean body mass, and continue lifting heavy. Once you're down to ATLEAST lower level teens body fat, i wouldn't be worrying about bulking.

That's not enough protein for someone lifting and active. That's the minimum recommendation for sedentary individuals to not be deficient.

OP you should be eating 0.8-1g per pound of total body weight since you don't look too overweight at the moment.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

That's not enough protein for someone lifting and active. That's the minimum recommendation for sedentary individuals to not be deficient.

OP you should be eating 0.8-1g per pound of total body weight since you don't look too overweight at the moment.
    I meant pounds. Sorry, i was initially reading in KG and then switching over to pounds and back.

The National Strength and Conditioning Association (N.S.C.A.) recommends that active people consume 0.4g to 0.6g per pound of bodyweight with as much as 0.8g for a competitive athlete.

Even saying that, at some point eating too much protein is just unnecessary. Eating enough to retain lean muscle mass is important, but he doesn't need a ridiculous amount. As he continues to lose he will inevitably lose SOME muscle.

I stand by .8-1g per POUND lean body mass.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

I meant pounds. Sorry, i was initially reading in KG and then switching over to pounds and back.

The National Strength and Conditioning Association (N.S.C.A.) recommends that active people consume 0.4g to 0.6g per pound of bodyweight with as much as 0.8g for a competitive athlete.

Even saying that, at some point eating too much protein is just unnecessary. Eating enough to retain lean muscle mass is important, but he doesn't need a ridiculous amount. As he continues to lose he will inevitably lose SOME muscle.

Sounds about right. It really depends on what type of athlete though. A body builder needs a lot more than an endurance athlete. I'm sure they picked an average. Anyways it's been studied extensively and there are no one size fits all amounts of protein you should eat: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11023001/

You should be getting somewhere in that ballpark though, and it's probably not necessary to go over 1.2g per pound of body weight.

• satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Thanks for your suggestion.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    Thanks my friend for your suggestions and then giving me more suggestions via messages
  • satisatisati
    Options
    Thanks for your c

Thanks for your comment. I am 71.5 kg and 165 cm tall.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    Thanks for your c

Thanks for your comment. I am 71.5 kg and 165 cm tall.

Even saying that, at some point eating too much protein is just unnecessary. Eating enough to retain lean muscle mass is important, but he doesn't need a ridiculous amount. As he continues to lose h else e will inevitably lose SOME muscle.

I am currently eating between 130-200. On the days i eat chicken i hit my goal of 200 else i hit around 130 with my vegetarian and egg diet
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - Keep eating in a deficit and lifting heavy until you get your body fat into the 12-14% range then if you are so inclined you can run a bulk/cut cycle or do a recomp.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    Thanks will do