To Swim or Not to Swim today (aka rest days important?)

Options
So I have just started swimming (or working out) again. I went the last 4 days and it has been good/fine (it is HARD and it HURTS but it is good pain not bad pain - yes I know the difference)

I feel like I can swim today. But then, usually I have a tendency to go all out balls to the wall when I start working out again and then a week later I am back on the couch, on heavy pain meds because my injuries have flared up again. And it never acts up when I am doing the activity that causes it to flare up sadly. Even knowing this tendency I still struggle not to do it :) (Hey I am a woman I have been told this is carte blanche to not make sense :tongue: )

So my question is how important are rest days? I never needed rest days when I was an athlete so I have trouble knowing if I need them :) Ido feel like I could swim again today no problem, but I am also wondering if I should do a rest day and go back Wednesday?

Replies

• TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    For me, rest days are when the weight drops off. I have a hard time with them though, I'd rather not rest! But there are days when I do know I should rest, so I do. I'd say take a rest day at least once a week.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and on the activity. I Run, but I only run 3 days a week, the other days I do something physical, but a different activity (Zumba, hiking, strength training etc) so that it gives those muscles a rest while still doing something active. Sounds like you have had some injuries, which would lead me to think that a day of rest is probably a good idea, or at least a day of a different activity so that you are not always straining the same muscle groups.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    If you feel like you don't need it, then the low-impact of swimming will help your joints!!! You can get some color on ya from some awesome rays if outside. Even if it's leisure swimming, you'd be surprised by how many calories you burn (I went two days ago).

However, if you're super sore all over and it's been bothering you all day, I'd maybe rest. Excluding this month, because I'm working all the freaking time, I normally hit the gym 4-5 times a week & took every other day to rest.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think your body will tell you when you need a rest, just don't ignore it!!! Don't burn yourself out though either.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're swimming hard, you might want to give yourself a rest once or twice per week...and by rest I mean go a little easier recreational swimming or just go for a walk...nice mellow bike ride...be generally active. Rest day doesn't mean do jack ****...it means let your muscles recover from vigorous and strenuous **** if you're doing a lot of it.

Personally, I'd be in a world of hurt and likely injured if I didn't have my rest day and didn't take it a little easier on a couple other days as well.
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    you should rest. You said when you were an athlete.. which you aren't anymore I'm assuming. You can still do something active if you want just keep it light.. and not to strenuous. If I really have the urge to workout on a rest day I will do some cardio.. or maybe a muscle I mixed during the week.

you said you feel like you could swim again, in which case you probably could. but it would be more beneficial to rest, and then continue even harder fully recovered the next day.

good luck! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To encourage the comment to listen to your body as regards soreness and rest, just keep in mind the fact Exercise tears down, it's the rest, recovery, and repair that actually build back up stronger.

The poorly fad name fat-burning zone was called the Active Recovery HR zone for years before, because at that level you aren't adding additional load to muscles trying to repair, but the increased blood flow and warm-up use can aid the repair.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    you should rest. You said when you were an athlete.. which you aren't anymore I'm assuming. You can still do something active if you want just keep it light.. and not to strenuous. If I really have the urge to workout on a rest day I will do some cardio.. or maybe a muscle I mixed during the week.

you said you feel like you could swim again, in which case you probably could. but it would be more beneficial to rest, and then continue even harder fully recovered the next day.

good luck! :)

lol definitely not anymore :) Though I was happy to note that even as out of shape as I am I can still do the same practice speeds on the shorter distances in the pool - I just can't maintain it for a long lol. And I have gone from swimming 5km in total after all of the different sets (I don't just swim laps straight it is more like interval training but in the pool) in an hour to 1.5-2km lol

thanks, maybe I will go for a walk or something :)
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    If you're swimming hard, you might want to give yourself a rest once or twice per week...and by rest I mean go a little easier recreational swimming or just go for a walk...nice mellow bike ride...be generally active. Rest day doesn't mean do jack ****...it means let your muscles recover from vigorous and strenuous **** if you're doing a lot of it.

Personally, I'd be in a world of hurt and likely injured if I didn't have my rest day and didn't take it a little easier on a couple other days as well.

I think I am swimming hard lol :) I am doing a cut down version of the types of workouts I did when I swam competitively, and will work up to the same distances and times as then someday lol :)

ok, so I guess I can walk today then lol :)