Sugar withdraw??

Options
I don't know if something like that exists but i can't figure out what else it could be.

I just went through alcohol withdraw which was pretty bad but im ok now but since last week im cutting sugars, i only drink water and tea, dont add any sugars to anything and have been eating clean also but im starting to have some really bad moodswings.

I get irritated superfast and i can get supertired. Today i was just fine most of today but after dinner i was becoming very cranky and very tired and its not only after diner, it also comes without reason sometimes :S

Anyone experienced something like this when they were cutting sugar?

Replies

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends, my moods have evened out mostly since going low carb.

If you are making significant changes to diet, your body may need some time to adapt.

If you open you diary people can see what you are eating and may spot something that can help you.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    In cutting out sugars, did you also significantly reduce your carb intake? I know there's a such thing as a "low carb flu" where a significant reduction of carbs can lead to feeling tired or rundown (like having the flu). Another possibility is that you could be experiencing a bout of low blood sugar, causing the mood swings/tiredness, or possibly have issues with hypoglycemia (a doctor would need to diagnose that).
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I dont fill in a food diary, cbb with that however this is what i mostly eat.

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal, skimmed milk, goji berries

Lunch: Salads with either eggs or tuna with raw veggies and olive oil

Diner: Brown products like brown rice, pasta etc, sweet potatoe with veggies and chickenbreast or some kind of fish.

Snacks: Some kind of fruit, usually banana's

Anywayz, havent had any changes physically until i started eating and drinking clean and ofc quitting the alcohol (stopped the 9th this month) I had some alcohol withdrawl but that was getting better but now ive switch my food and drink intake i get withdrawel symptoms again.

Didnt reduce my carb intake however i switched from bad carbs to the good ones
  • umayster
    Options
    When are the mood swings happening?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I experienced that. Tired. Cranky. Headaches. Then when I went low carb I got it again. I don't know if it is just the effect on blood sugar or what, but I had physical symptoms. Luckily it only lasted a few days. :)
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    When are the mood swings happening?
    It happens on several times, i thought i would only have the dip after diner but it can come just as easy throughout the day and exactly after i changed bad food to the good ones.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I definitely got very tired and some headaches. I didn't experience the crankiness though.

But yes, this is very common. The good news is it only lasts a short time. In a week or so you will be fine. And the good news is that if your experience is anything like mine, your energy level will then be much more even...no big swings.
  • umayster
    Options
    Try adding fat & maybe some protein to each meal - maybe add heavy cream to oatmeal (2 oz), extra eggs or more generous with the olive oil at lunch and can't tell at dinner - are you adding butter, cheese or any other elements besides what you listed?

Also - snack on a non-carb item if you can, maybe cheese sticks or nuts?

What kind of sugars did you cut out? Candies, Desserts, etc? or ? Where they eaten in meals or between?
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Options
    I cook with coconut oil, in my salades i drop extra virgin olive oil, i already taking extra omega fatties through supplements.
    I will be adding nuts to the snacklist but having a bad financial month so will come later.

The sugars i cut out is soda's, sugar in tea, sweets and foods that have alot of processed sugars in them and ofc whiskey :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    80TAURUS80 wrote: »

Diner: Brown products like brown rice, pasta etc, sweet potatoe with veggies and chickenbreast or some kind of fish.

Anywayz, havent had any changes physically until i started eating and drinking clean and ofc quitting the alcohol (stopped the 9th this month) I had some alcohol withdrawl but that was getting better but now ive switch my food and drink intake i get withdrawel symptoms again.

When you say you switched from bad carbs to the good ones, what do you consider to be bad ones? Not getting into a semantic argument, just trying to get an idea of what you were eating before, as tiredness and irritability can also be signs that you're not eating enough.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

How long have you been eating like this?

• emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes again. You absolutely do get withdrawal symptoms from reducing. As mentioned about that keto flu can also happen from carb reductions. Been there and done that.

My husband and I have both found in the past that even a small reduction in soda intake can cause withdrawal symptoms. Even with trying to keep the caffeine balanced with other things like tea and coffee...less soda when you are used to it can make you feel awful. I personally have no doubt there is an addictive effect with sugar, esp fructose.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    emcdonie wrote: »
    Yes, yes, and yes again. You absolutely do get withdrawal symptoms from reducing. As mentioned about that keto flu can also happen from carb reductions. Been there and done that.

My husband and I have both found in the past that even a small reduction in soda intake can cause withdrawal symptoms. Even with trying to keep the caffeine balanced with other things like tea and coffee...less soda when you are used to it can make you feel awful. I personally have no doubt there is an addictive effect with sugar, esp fructose.

i personally doubt less sugar will leave you with dts and seizures, so maybe it's just crankiness?
  • umayster
    Options
    I cook with coconut oil, in my salades i drop extra virgin olive oil, i already taking extra omega fatties through supplements.
    I will be adding nuts to the snacklist but having a bad financial month so will come later.

The sugars i cut out is soda's, sugar in tea, sweets and foods that have alot of processed sugars in them and ofc whiskey :)

Got it. You are doing lots of good things (esp the alcohol-congrats on that! tough to do!) Maybe just add fat and protein to breakfast to even out blood sugar swings and see if that helps. If not you'll have to keep experimenting. You are making big changes and it may take a little to figure out a new stable food routine.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

When you say you switched from bad carbs to the good ones, what do you consider to be bad ones? Not getting into a semantic argument, just trying to get an idea of what you were eating before, as tiredness and irritability can also be signs that you're not eating enough.
    The ones i consider bad is like, cereal, those non fresh fruit juices, processed foods, soda's. refined grains, candy etc etc
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

How long have you been eating like this?

Today is my 7th day.
    emcdonie wrote: »

Yeah, i got some gravings for sugar sometimes too :S
    umayster wrote: »

Got it. You are doing lots of good things (esp the alcohol-congrats on that! tough to do!) Maybe just add fat and protein to breakfast to even out blood sugar swings and see if that helps. If not you'll have to keep experimenting. You are making big changes and it may take a little to figure out a new stable food routine.

Thnx and yeah, im trying some new stuff every now and then to see what fits best for me, but its nice to know people that have been cutting sugar have similair experiences :)

• akwest21
    akwest21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you cut out soda you've probably drastically reduced your caffeine intake which can also cause withdrawal symptoms. The combination of reduction in simple carbohydrates and caffeine is not too fun.
    Although I've seen people go through detox and if you handled that you'll handle this just fine.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the reasons we over eat or indulge in alcohol is to dull our emotions and it could be worth considering that, as you have cut out what may be a coping strategy for you, that the emotions that were being dulled by the use of alcohol and food are now no longer "suppressed" and are being fully felt. IF this is the case, then learning some kind of relaxation techniques or doing some exercise to cope with the moods may help. Just my two cents and another perspective to consider. All the best!
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My sister and her husband both went off sugar and after about 3 days they started getting brain splitting headaches. They treated them with Tylenol and kept going strong. after another 1 or 2 days, the headaches vanished. I believe they eat berries now, on a daily basis, but no processed sugars.
    The crankiness sounds like a POSSIBILITY of hypoglycemia. Have your glucose checked when you feel like that. Your local fire station will do it for you, if you ask them. Good luck.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you have an idea of what your meals looked like 2 weeks ago? It would help to be able compare them.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "i personally doubt less sugar will leave you with dts and seizures, so maybe it's just crankiness?"

I highly doubt it would do such. Nor was I intending to imply that the withdrawal is equal to or comparable to other things that cause severe symptoms such as you mentioned.

However, I have personally experienced shakiness, dizziness, jittery panicked feelings, brain fog, and major blood sugar swings (up and downs) that were out of the norm. Certainly crankiness and an unusual degree of being emotional was present as well.

My husband is dealing with some of it now trying to get off of his many cans a day soda habit. A few short weeks ago, I lowered sugars and carbs and got a reminder of how lovely one feels that first week in doing so. It may not be severe to some folks, but when you personally feel it, it is most unpleasant. It is none-the-less real though, even if it not be on par with more severe symptoms of other addictive substances.