Difficult time of the month for the females...

Options
So it's that time... and honestly, I am struggling big time. It is impossible for me to exercise during (from [tmi maybe] cramping, either nausea or extreme hunger, headaches, dizziness, out-of-whack hormone levels, and heavy flow).

I am on my 4th day and have a deficit of 130 kcals for this week right now lol... It's pathetic.

I'm just wondering what you guys do to control your eating and not totally destroy your month in 1 week. I am not over-eating during, just maintaining, but I want to actually lose fat during it instead so that I can keep on track for my monthly goals...

Replies

• leanlicorice
    leanlicorice Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well done on keeping to your calorie goal. I have terrible period symptoms and cravings too and am keen to hear strategies to overcome!
  • avrskelt
    avrskelt Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find it useful to plan all my meals before including all my snacks- little and often is the key for me and lots of tea.
    Walking and gentle swimming-things like that I find the best. Also lots of stretching, and then once it's stopped hit the gym hard.
    I hope you fine this useful☺️
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this today. I am on my period and i have gained 2 pounds. I dont get what it will be like trying to lose when after 4 weeks of dieting the scales go up thanks to TOM. Do we have to work extra hard to lose the extra pounds or are the period pounds just bloating and will go down at the end? Confused.com. SO hard to avoid cakes and biscuits isnt it, but i had a toasted waffle and a jelly instead. AND like most, i cant exercise right now due to cramps etc. Us women are so strong dont you think? =)
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you are EATING at maintenance that's one thing. If the scale just isn't moving, it's probably water retention. What you want to see is progress from one month to the next. Drink more water. Have a cup of tea. Take a nap if you can.
    And ease up on yourself. Some people have easier periods than others. If it's also your 4th day, you're in probably the HARDEST time of eating less that there is. That first week is killer. Plan out a treat for your weakest time of day, but have it stick to your calories. I love single serving ice cream pops or ice cream sandwiches. Blue Bunny Orange Dream bars are only 70 cals. So they feel indulgent but easy to fit in at the end of a day.
  • Entroopia
    Entroopia Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this today. I am on my period and i have gained 2 pounds. I dont get what it will be like trying to lose when after 4 weeks of dieting the scales go up thanks to TOM. Do we have to work extra hard to lose the extra pounds or are the period pounds just bloating and will go down at the end? Confused.com. SO hard to avoid cakes and biscuits isnt it, but i had a toasted waffle and a jelly instead. AND like most, i cant exercise right now due to cramps etc. Us women are so strong dont you think? =)
    The extra weight on the scale is just water retention, not fat, and will go down once your period is over or a few days after. And it really is hard to avoid eating more because not only are the hormones raging making me want junk but I am so hunnnngry lol. Apparently you can burn more kcals during your period, which is most likely why.
    jaqcan wrote: »
    If you are EATING at maintenance that's one thing. If the scale just isn't moving, it's probably water retention. What you want to see is progress from one month to the next. Drink more water. Have a cup of tea. Take a nap if you can.
    And ease up on yourself. Some people have easier periods than others. If it's also your 4th day, you're in probably the HARDEST time of eating less that there is. That first week is killer. Plan out a treat for your weakest time of day, but have it stick to your calories. I love single serving ice cream pops or ice cream sandwiches. Blue Bunny Orange Dream bars are only 70 cals. So they feel indulgent but easy to fit in at the end of a day.
    I know I won't see progress on the scale during my period, which is why I said fat loss and not weight loss. I am talking about continuing having a deficit, and therefore, fat loss throughout the week of my period and for the month overall if that makes more sense. I drink plenty of water and I nap when I can but since I'm a university student I'm pretty busy most of the time. I try not to get too upset over maintaining (it's better than gaining) but I'd really like to continue fat loss throughout this time if I can, you know? Ah, well. Maybe it's just wishful thinking and I should just do the best that I am able..
    avrskelt wrote: »
    I find it useful to plan all my meals before including all my snacks- little and often is the key for me and lots of tea.
    Walking and gentle swimming-things like that I find the best. Also lots of stretching, and then once it's stopped hit the gym hard.
    I hope you fine this useful☺️
    I am very envious of those who could actually swim during their period. That is not possible for me even with a tampon, unfortunately. Pretty much anything other than sitting in an upright position is dangerous lol. I am finding that during this time, eating smaller meals throughout the day is much easier as my will power is minimal haha.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my TMI. I get ravenous a few days after it as well-always two full days crazy hungry. Hard time exercising (moving at all). I'm considering a switch to maintenance for one week perhaps to reduce my anxiety around the whole time and focus on the other three weeks or so a month. If I end up with a deficit on the maintenance days that's great too.