Bike trainer and counting kcals burnt?

Options
I just bought a new fluid bike trainer and wondering how others add the kcals (as opposed to just road riding). I have heart monitor, which I will be using but I'm curious (while I'm waiting for it to get here) if anyone's noticed much of a difference between fluid trainers and road riding kcals burnt?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it'll be lower. No wind resistance, no rolling resistance. I know the trainer provides resistance, but I know it's hard for me to get my heart rate nearly as high inside as I can outside. But then again, there's a lot more adrenaline involved outdoors which will cause the heart rate to be higher. I wouldn't worry about being exact too much. It's pretty much impossible anyway.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    If you have a power meter, that would be the best way to get an accurate measure. On one hand, trainer riding is tougher than outside because you can't coast--the trainer flywheel is smaller than the road "flywheel" (a.k.a. THE EARTH), so it spins down and stops immediately. On the other hand, as @BusyRaeNOTBusty notes, the primary force in making you work outside, at least at higher speeds, is wind resistance, which doesn't exist on the trainer.

Indoors, temperature is a REAL factor. Put a fan in front of you to cool you off as you ride. You'll find you can push *much* harder because your heart rate will be lower for the same effort (power output/calories burned).

So yeah. Power meter.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    I also ride one of my bicycles on a fluid trainer. And I select "stationary bike, light effort".

Riding on a trainer is easier than riding outside because you don't have wind or hills. You also don't have the upper body aspect ... dodging potholes, braking and powering back up again with the flow of traffic, etc.

When I ride my trainer (3 days a week these days ... it's winter here) ... I set myself up in front of the TV, and ride "commercial intervals". I go at a nice steady pace during the show, and when the commercial comes on, I try to ride flat out for the duration of the commercial. It breaks things up, and 30-60 min can go by in no time. :)