Cardio vs Lifting for beginners?

Options
Currently I am 211lbs and have been doing about 1 hour per day of cardio workout. My question is, should I also be doing weight lifting? Ultimately I am trying to cut my weight to a healthier level but I don't want to sacrifice muscle. Would it be advisable to do a few days of weight lifting etc?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Yes, LIFT. Lifting helps retain muscle mass while losing. Cardio is for health and to help with the deficit.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Bonus of adding muscle, muscle burns more calories, even at rest.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Cardio and lifting compliment well with what you have briefly described.

Depending on your current fitness level, you could start off with incorporating lifting into your current regime two days a week and see how that works for you. If you find it is working well for you, you can try 3 days a week.

What you want to be cognizant of, is not not working the same body parts back to back. It is important to give your muscles a chance to recuperate.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Lifting and cardio is like chocolate and peanut butter. You really get more bang if you do both.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »
    Lifting and cardio is like chocolate and peanut butter. You really get more bang if you do both.

This! Hi, Whittedo!
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yes, LIFT. Lifting helps retain muscle mass while losing. Cardio is for health and to help with the deficit.
    Awesome. I have been doing workouts with my trainer for almost a year and he has worked wonders with my body. I feel great, my clothes are getting loose, and when I "suck it in" I really feel some power in my core. NOW... I never really got into lifting per say, so can you give me an idea of some lifting activities to add to my program? I don't want to be a Schwartzenegress, so please just give me a starting point and I will take it from there. I do have 2 3lb. weights I use at home when I am watching the tube at night.

• arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Lifting is what you want. Cardio is simply a tool to manipulate calories, which you can do just by increasing your calorie deficit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Lift now. So many people on here get to their goal weight and regret not having lifted in a deficit. It does amazing things to the body.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Lift now. So many people on here get to their goal weight and regret not having lifted in a deficit. It does amazing things to the body.

What she said. ^^
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

+2
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I also think that a lot of people who lift all along find they don't need to lose quite as much weight to be as happy with their body compared to those who did not lift. For my height, I could healthily drop another 15 lbs, but I saved enough muscle to feel pretty comfortable in the middle of a healthy weight range. Of course there are things that need work, but it can be done without losing more weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Bonus of adding muscle, muscle burns more calories, even at rest.

Except under specific circumstances, you can't gain muscle in a calorie deficit. You can, however, maintain your muscle as you lose, which is why it's beneficial.
    Awesome. I have been doing workouts with my trainer for almost a year and he has worked wonders with my body. I feel great, my clothes are getting loose, and when I "suck it in" I really feel some power in my core. NOW... I never really got into lifting per say, so can you give me an idea of some lifting activities to add to my program? I don't want to be a Schwartzenegress, so please just give me a starting point and I will take it from there. I do have 2 3lb. weights I use at home when I am watching the tube at night.

Look into a progressive lifting program: Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are great places to start.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't know the fitness lingo but I will google your suggestions. Thank You (-:
  • MeaganPorter1
    MeaganPorter1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will incorporate two days a week for now :)
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend StrongLifts 5x5 -- check out the iPhone app for it - great and easy way to track
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift, lift more after that and then lift some more. No matter what the weight goal is think of it this way - what good is losing 40 lbs when after you are so weak you can't lift a tv remote.
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Seconded
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes. They're both good for your health. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I don't understand why you wouldn't ask your trainer about this?

Also:

Arnold Schwarzenegger: I encourage everyone to lift weights, it is good for everyone.

Reporter: But I don't want to get big like you.

Arnold: Don't worry, you never will.