Can't seem to lose more weight

Options
Last year I became a letter carrier. Since I started I've lost around 20lbs. I watch what I eat and have generally been eating no more than 2000 calories a day. According to the pedometer on the app, I walk between 18,000 and 26,000 steps each day I work depending on how much walking is involved I the route I'm assigned to. The app says I usually am able to eat nearly 3,000 calories a day to maintain my weight but I eat much less. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I want to lose weight because I still have slight man boobs and love handles. But my main concern is my chest. It's like all my fat stores to my chest and I want it gone! Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• tiarowley67
    tiarowley67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, are u drinking enough water? 64 plus oz or more? Protein? U should be getting 80-90 grams a day. Those are the main two. Others are sugars, u should be eating less than 15g per serving at 3 meals a day. And no more than 50-60g carbs total for the day. Try to keep your fatg at 3-5 per serving as well. See how that works for you for a few weeks to a month. You might just be eating the wrong calories. Good luck!
    Tia Rowley
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your food intake? Do you use a scale? If not you need to start.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you're eating more than you think you are.

How careful are you about weighing your food and logging everything you eat?
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    ã
    Put your info into mfp.. then eat to that calorie amount.
    To be accurate you may need to start weighting/measuring your food and drinks. Enter into your diary.
    If you cannot do it all the time, at least make a good estimate and log it into your diary.
    As you lose weight you need less calories.
    Maybe some weightlifting will help with the man boobs as the fat disappears.
    Good Luck.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hello, are u drinking enough water? 64 plus oz or more? Protein? U should be getting 80-90 grams a day. Those are the main two. Others are sugars, u should be eating less than 15g per serving at 3 meals a day. And no more than 50-60g carbs total for the day. Try to keep your fatg at 3-5 per serving as well. See how that works for you for a few weeks to a month. You might just be eating the wrong calories. Good luck!
    Tia Rowley

Sigh. In general no. The sugar and carbs and fats defo no.

It's got bugger all to do the wrong calories and everything to do with the amount of calories.

Are you weighting and measuring all your foods - no cups, just grams?
  • okaycpu89
    okaycpu89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat into the My Fitness Pal app. Id say my daily caloric intake is about 99% accurate. And even if it wasn't, I walk between 7-10 miles 5-6 days a week.

I think one main problem is on the weekend when I drink alcohol. But I wouldn't think that 1-2 days of the week when I drink or eat in excess would have much impact considering what I do for a living and how well I eat during the week.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    okaycpu89 wrote: »
    I log everything I eat into the My Fitness Pal app. Id say my daily caloric intake is about 99% accurate. And even if it wasn't, I walk between 7-10 miles 5-6 days a week.

I think one main problem is on the weekend when I drink alcohol. But I wouldn't think that 1-2 days of the week when I drink or eat in excess would have much impact considering what I do for a living and how well I eat during the week.

Do you log at the weekends - everything?

It's surprising how quickly it adds up and wipes out a deficit.

I'd guess that is your issue. Log everything this week and see.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    OK, so you log everything. That's great!

How do you measure your food? With measuring cups or a food scale?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? You say you log, but is it accurate? If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.
  • okaycpu89
    Options

Do you log at the weekends - everything?

It's surprising how quickly it adds up and wipes out a deficit.

I'd guess that is your issue. Log everything this week and see.

Yes I do. And I don't go too far over. Not enough I would think to make much difference.
  • okaycpu89
    Options

Usually measuring cup. Most of what I eat has serving sizes labeled. I go by that.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Usually measuring cup. Most of what I eat has serving sizes labeled. I go by that.

Cups are very inaccurate.

Get a set of cheap scales and use them - I'll bet you start losing weigh again.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Thus is the problem

Weigh your food
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and your problem should be solved.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Some food scales can be had for less than ten bucks
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Definitely go for a food scale - the amount you can fit in a cup will vary but the weight of the food doesn't change.

My granola is 3/4 cup (55g) for 270 calories. Just for fun, I used my 2/3 cup to measure out the granola and it was ~45g. It's unlikely that a mere 10g more would be the difference between 2/3 cup and 3/4 cup in this case.

Get a scale and weigh food in grams, ignoring whatever the cup or spoon measurement is unless it's a liquid or grams isn't an option.

~Lyssa
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Alcohol is not only high in calories, but usually causes you to eat stupid stuff like a bag of potato chips with onion dip or a whole pizza or whatever. Been there, done that. Log the alcohol (you'll probably have to save your cans/bottles/or whatever to get an accurate count the next day when you are sober) and see how much it is. Also, you should save the bags or chips or receipts from the pizza place or whatever packaging that you have eaten until the next day when you are sober so that you can log accurately.

Hopefully that will inspire you to quit sabotaging yourself with the alcohol and start losing weight. You're sure working hard enough to do so.
  • okaycpu
    okaycpu Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Alcohol is not only high in calories, but usually causes you to eat stupid stuff like a bag of potato chips with onion dip or a whole pizza or whatever. Been there, done that. Log the alcohol (you'll probably have to save your cans/bottles/or whatever to get an accurate count the next day when you are sober) and see how much it is. Also, you should save the bags or chips or receipts from the pizza place or whatever packaging that you have eaten until the next day when you are sober so that you can log accurately.

Hopefully that will inspire you to quit sabotaging yourself with the alcohol and start losing weight. You're sure working hard enough to do so.

This is so true. At some point you're just like, *kitten* it. I'm eating the rest of this pizza. It sounds incredible. I should stop drinking for an entire month and see where it gets me.

I have however started just recently drinking my whiskey straight on the rocks. So that may help.