Upper arm pain and exercises

Options
I've been having some pain in my upper arm lately when I pull during my swims. I'm thinking I pulled a muscle, and that I need to start lifting to strengthen it. Does anyone have suggestions for good arm workouts that don't include putting my body weight on my hands (I have wrist problems). I do have some light weight hand weights that I can use, I just don't know what exercises would be best.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A few questions, what part of the upper arm (bicep or tricep)? When do you feel the pain? From a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being almost none, 10 being like your arm is coming off) rate the pain. Have you taken any time off from swimming to let it heal? Have you had any therapy on it?

[Edited by MFP mod]
  • philiesgrl22
    philiesgrl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello AllanMinser.

The pain is in my shoulder, not really my arm. It seems like the joint where my upper arm and shoulder meet. I only notice the slight popping and pain when I am swimming freestyle, and am pulling my right arm down. The pain isn't high, but it's enough to worry me while I swim. I did take some time off from swimming (several months), and when I went back to the pool I was having the same issue. I have not had therapy, I'm trying to decide now if I should have someone look at it just in case I did do something.
  • sarahhuntting15
    sarahhuntting15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend seeing someone!
    Continuing to work out a damaged joint could have unfortunate long term ramifications!
    When you are ready to strengthen the joint, though, I really like upright rows!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I second the notion to see someone. you dont want to make it worse. get it checked out to make sure its ok to continue swimming,never work through any pain. good luck hope you can get it sorted out
  • Kristie354
    Kristie354 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello AllanMinser.

The pain is in my shoulder, not really my arm. It seems like the joint where my upper arm and shoulder meet. I only notice the slight popping and pain when I am swimming freestyle, and am pulling my right arm down. The pain isn't high, but it's enough to worry me while I swim. I did take some time off from swimming (several months), and when I went back to the pool I was having the same issue. I have not had therapy, I'm trying to decide now if I should have someone look at it just in case I did do something.

I am currently having the same problem with swimming. Mine is in my left AC joint. I can't take time off because swimming is the only cardio I can do due to other issues. I'm seeing an exercise physiologist next week so hopefully he can help me out.

If you find anything that works I'd love to hear about it and vice versa.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You probably just need to rest it. You probably aren't using as good form as you might think while swimming thus causing pain. Not a swimming expert but that's my guess or it could be that you are doing too much. Most of the people on here telling you to go to the doctor are being dramatic.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Google shoulder impingement.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Shoulders are so complex. You should see someone before you start any lifting of any sort. With a bit of luck it's just something minor, but what if it's the beginning of adhesive capsulitis (google "frozen shoulder"), then strength training it will make it heaps worse.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    You probably just need to rest it. You probably aren't using as good form as you might think while swimming thus causing pain. Not a swimming expert but that's my guess or it could be that you are doing too much. Most of the people on here telling you to go to the doctor are being dramatic.

its not being dramatic, its called being safe and preventing a possible injury.