Is it possible/safe to lose 15 lbs in 3 weeks?

Options

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    robspot wrote: »
    College should be a fun time

Wut?

Pretty sure college is for studying, not partying.
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to pack away the size 3/4s too, and buy some new 7/8s
    But Im happier and more comfortable now

Enjoy your big college start!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You could try amputating something. I've heard that works wonders for some people.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That's going to be pretty tough. Five pounds a week is a deficit of over 2500 calories/day - which is the equivalent of going into a coma and eating literally (literally, literally) nothing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to pack away the size 3/4s too, and buy some new 7/8s
    But Im happier and more comfortable now

Enjoy your big college start!

Solid
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1 lb = 3,600

Your daily calories to maintain your current weight = 1700-1900.

That means that you could eat zero calories every day and you would only lose 3.3-3.7 lbs per week. That is not realistic. That is not healthy.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That's going to be pretty tough. Five pounds a week is a deficit of over 2500 calories/day - which is the equivalent of going into a coma and eating literally (literally, literally) nothing.

Even that wouldn't do it at her size. She'd need 0 calories in AND exercise calorie burns.

OP, hope you are paying attention to the responses and have decided on a reasonable (and actually possible) goal.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Wut?

College is for studying AND partying

You mean that with the broken American system where you have to pay tens of thousands of dollars a year to attend college, people routinely waste their time and money by partying and somehow think this is okay?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Wut?

College is for studying AND partying

That said, OP's goal is unsafe and impossible aside from some pretty risky stuff. Don't even try to lose 15lbs in 3 weeks, OP.

Only if you're not getting a science degree.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I say lose 5 pounds and make some smart fashion choices that make you look like you dropped an additional ten. Great? Great!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My daughter finished her first year of college in May. She made a lot of friends, had a great time and made the Dean's list both semesters.

My husband and I were proud of her but now I realize that we shouldn't be. We should be upset with her because she had fun.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Totally possible! Just cut off your arm. Bingo 15lbs gone in like 5 min!
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My daughter finished her first year of college in May. She made a lot of friends, had a great time and made the Dean's list both semesters.

My husband and I were proud of her but now I realize that we shouldn't be. We should be upset with her because she had fun.

I suggest you disown her. She has brought shame upon your household! I am 42 and I haven't had fun for 24 years, my parents couldn't be happier :/
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    but is 5lbs/week so bad?

Not only is it "bad". It's probably impossible.

Here's why...

Your current BMR is 1,395. Your maintenance calories are around 1700 per day.
    You need to lose 15 pounds or 52,500 calories.
    If you wanted to do that is 21 days you would need a daily calorie goal of "-800 calories".
    That's 800 calories through exercise (about 2 hours on a treadmill) AND not eat anything at all.

Obviously this is dangerous, will kill you, and unnecessary. Sorry, you waited too long to try and lose it. It's fine, start your small deficit now and you should be good to go in about 3 1/2 months. :)

This is the bottom line

• sevans85mfp
    sevans85mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It can be done but it is stupid and unhealthy. Aim for 1-2lbs per week. Or a 10 week target?

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Op work on losing a pound a week. Keep at it and before you know it the weight will be gone. Don't do anything drastic as you either get sick or just fed up and quit. Good luck and enjoy college