Oral Allergy Syndrome

2»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I've developed an allergy to carrots, and the reactions are the same.

cook what you can, try freezing foods as the extreme cold can break down the allergens, and avoid the rest.

http://myfridgefood.com/
    this might help you put together some foods'/recipes that you can eat and enjoy
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Silly question... You say your lips swell when the food touches it, can you just carefully put the food into your mouth avoiding the area that will swell?

Also what about smoothies through a straw?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I have this reaction to pineapple. I get swelling and pain inside my whole mouth like it was burned. I like pineapple but not enough to suffer for it so I just avoid it. It started as an adult. I haven't had a reaction to other foods yet.

If you can eat the food cooked, then just eat it cooked. Maybe roast or grill the vegetables or make fruit or vegetable chips.
    Have cabbage, lettuce or pasta salads.
    Cook vegetables in soup or a stir fry.
    Cook fruit and puree it for smoothies? I don't think something would have to be raw to be put in a smoothie. Homemade applesauce is easy to make.
    Can you eat beans or lentils? Roasted chickpeas, hummus, bean or lentil salad.
    Eat things like cheese, meats, hard boiled eggs, rice balls, popcorn, yogurt, cabbage rolls, lettuce wraps, nuts, seeds, chex mix.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I have this reaction to pineapple. I get swelling and pain inside my whole mouth like it was burned. I like pineapple but not enough to suffer for it so I just avoid it. It started as an adult. I haven't had a reaction to other foods yet.

If you can eat the food cooked, then just eat it cooked. Maybe roast or grill the vegetables or make fruit or vegetable chips.
    Have cabbage, lettuce or pasta salads.
    Cook vegetables in soup or a stir fry.
    Cook fruit and puree it for smoothies? I don't think something would have to be raw to be put in a smoothie. Homemade applesauce is easy to make.
    Can you eat beans or lentils? Roasted chickpeas, hummus, bean or lentil salad.
    Eat things like cheese, meats, hard boiled eggs, rice balls, popcorn, yogurt, cabbage rolls, lettuce wraps, nuts, seeds, chex mix.

Actually, pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain which acts to break down proteins. While you're eating the pineapple, the pineapple is also eating your mouth (well, breaking down the protein in the top layers of your cheeks, lips, tongue, and gums, anyway).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited July 2015
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Silly question... You say your lips swell when the food touches it, can you just carefully put the food into your mouth avoiding the area that will swell?

My whole mouth felt swollen. Gums, the roof of my mouth, everything. It's less actually and visually swollen than it is raw and irritated. I can't really describe it. There is nothing else like it. If you took a very hard toothbrush and scrubbed the roof of your mouth for a while, that would come kind of close.

My lips didn't swell out, it was an inside thing. And my lips were less of a problem than the roof of my mouth and inner gums.

It's just wickedly uncomfortable and kind of itchy...but not the same kind of itch as skin. More of a prickly tingle, especially the cheeks and lips, but also the hard parts.

When it would happen, I'd have to get something else in my mouth. Water didn't help, but sugar pop (not diet) did. Syrup helped, but stuffing didn't. Thick meat sauce (like from stew) was good, but pancakes weren't. Hard things hurt because they irritated what was already irritated. Salty things didn't help.

It's just weird. It's a "you have to experience it" kind of thing, I think.

I never tried smoothies, but unless the food was submerged in some kind of very sugary syrup for an extended period, smoothies would've been out. Way out. A solid pice of food would cause less trouble than a whole mouthful.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    My mom has this issue, although she also gets burning in her throat. It's a total bummer.

You could try doing some batch cooking on the weekends (or whenever it fits into your schedule). Make some meals that you like, and make snack portions and full portions. You could also do this with the veggies that you might like to eat, so you can have cooked veggie snacks. Sucks that you can't have salads. Sometimes you just get a craving!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »

My whole mouth felt swollen. Gums, the roof of my mouth, everything. It's less actually and visually swollen than it is raw and irritated. I can't really describe it. There is nothing else like it. I'd you took a very hard toothbrush and scrubbed the roof of your mouth for a while, that would come kind of close.

My lips didn't swell out, it was an inside thing. And my lips were less of a problem than the roof of my mouth and inner gums.

It's just wickedly uncomfortable and kind of itchy...but not the same kind of itch as skin.

It's just weird. It's a "you have to experience it" kind of thing, I think.

I never tried smoothies, but unless the food was submerged in some kind of very sugary syrup for an extended period, smoothies would've been out. Way out. A solid pice of food would cause less trouble than a whole mouthful.

Yikes! Thanks for explaining.
  • hefkeysw
    hefkeysw Posts: 1 Member
    I went to an allergist last year. One of the things he said with OAS that if you microwave the fruit or vegetable for 30 seconds it will usually break down the protein. I tried it with apples which are one of my allergies and found it effective. It's not long enough to cook the fruit...so afterwards I threw it in the fridge and ate it without problem.

May or may not work for you...but thought I'd pass it on as it came from an allergist when I had the same problem
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Yeah, my wife claims she has that, too. I'm not buying it!

/snicker/