Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lifting and when to push

in a newbie to lifting but pretty excited about it nonetheless.

My first time ever deadlifting I threw 2x45(225) on the bar and and lifted it up rather impressed with myself. By the third rep my back was shot and I needed a few weeks to rest due to bad form.

I've learned somewhat better form and also dropped down to 135lbs until I get more comfortable with the movement (I'm 6'4 so it's still a bit awkward)

I'm also doing back squats and various presses (overhead, db for example)

I'm just wondering now that I've progressed from the pain of poor form and sore joints to the welcome soreness of doms(much better than a sore back) as I progress do I push hard early to see what I can do or do I just slowly add weight and take my time until I plateau?

I'm more comfortable now using less weight as before I was more afraid of my image at the gym... Fortunately I looked in the mirror at my gut and realized lifting light isn't so bad after all as no ones expecting much to begin with besides myself.

Anyways thanks in advance for your input

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Agree with a decent programme, just pick one and follow it ...the one above or

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

There are others
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Advance slowly and steadily. Your muscles might be strong enough but your form will be suspect until you have enough reps under your belt up have it locked in. Also, your tendons and ligaments advance much more slowly than your muscles so moving up slowly gives them a chance to keep up and avoid injuries
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    progress slowly. super super important, slow and steady
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I agree with all of the above. There are so many programs designed to progression, and changing things up to work at different angles and differnt intensity so you don't get over use injuries. It's very fun and empowering isn't it? :)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    It would be wise to find a trainer or get a good book website to follow a system

2 weeks light and learn form

Then add some weight

If you are new your body will respond quickly

There is much more in play than just a muscle

Connective tissue and skeletal structure

Let your body get used to this new fresh hell you are exposing it to

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Advance slowly and steadily. Your muscles might be strong enough but your form will be suspect until you have enough reps under your belt up have it locked in. Also, your tendons and ligaments advance much more slowly than your muscles so moving up slowly gives them a chance to keep up and avoid injuries

THIS ^^^^

Most newbie injuries are caused by poor form and strength imbalances between the musculature and connective tissues. Never sacrifice form for weight even if that means you're nickel and dimeing the weight up every couple of weeks.

• labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Get on a liner program and don't push till you can't make any more progress like 6 months in.

Grey skull lp
    Starting strength (the vastly over rated program)
    ICF beginner program
    Bunch of others