Beginner to lifting. Advice please? Must tone up!

Options
For the last year I have just been running my little heart out. I lost 50 lbs. I have plateaued with running now and have been trying my hand at lifting. I started with weighted squats, leg presses. I want to be toned and I really don't care how much muscle I gain. I have naturally large thighs so I hope to tone them up.
Here's a picture of what I look like now. So this is what I'm working with.
2w6ujww.jpg

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    There is also New Rules of Lifting for Women & Strong Lifts 5x5. I prefer strong lifts. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • jnieves70
    jnieves70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello, I know that using a bit of light weights and more reps can tone your body , for me its kinda hard to lose some weight due to my thyroid surgery , so my metabolism is low for me to burn fat , not saying I look like a cow now but have more weight than before , I just have to workout a bit more than others and be on a stricken diet , hope u reach ur goal....
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Find an all body workout for females, there are a few. Don't be afraid to work your way up to lift heavy, but it sounds like you are not afraid which is good. Lifting heavy and getting strong is very empowering for women once they catch on. It changes everything in your life, as your body is the power house for all you do.

You won't get bulky, when we women stay all natural and lift heavy it's the fat+muscle that looks "bulky".

Focus on the calorie deficit for fat loss.

Focus on the lifting for building lean body mass. Even though of course you burn, it's less than all the calculators - so if you over estimate calorie burn then you get stuck at a plateau or can gain.

Sore muscles retain water, so let the body weight scale fluctuate but it will still go down over time if you really are eating at a deficit.

Have fun! Get empowered!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    whatever program you choose, stick with it. in a year from now you'll be really happy with the results.