Excess Skin

Options
Did anyone who went from approximately 240 lbs to 140 lbs deal with excess skin. I'm currently in the middle of this journey and it does somewhat concern me.

So far no signs of excess skin by the way.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on your situation and largely your genetics. That someone else does it doesn't get loose skin won't tell anything about whether you will or won't.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 260lb to 160lb. I've lost 65lb so far over a year and a half. So far I have some signs of loose skin but it's not too bad. I use Cocoa Butter firming lotions and bath oils, drink lots of water and exfoliate regularly and it seems to help. Fingers crossed the last 30-35lb are as forgiving too. Good job if you haven't got any signs of it so far. Keep doing what you are doing!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If you search, you'll find many threads on the topic of excess skin.

General consensus is that if you are losing at a reasonable rate (1 - 2 lbs a week) and you exercise and tone as you lose, that there will be less loose skin to deal with.

Having said that, I would urge you not to get caught up in your head about what you're going to do with all that excess skin once you've lost 100 lbs. Don't let "I'm worried about excess skin" turn into an excuse not to lose the weight.

Your new body will likely both surprise and delight you AND disappoint you in some ways. I discovered the delight of my thinner ankles and wrists; but am still terribly annoyed by my big behind, and my batwing arms have me sworn off of tank tops for life. Be prepared to both enjoy and accept your new body!
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips and encouragement. Since the start of my weight loss journey, I needed to loose a little over 100 pounds, so now that I'm really sticking to it, I wanted to know what to expect.
    Excess skin won't stop me losing weight. I notice I feel better, have more energy and more confidence with every pound I loose. Once you hit that diet routine, you cannot step away from it :)

@rosebarnalice I have tons of lotions which I use daily :) I've only lost 30 lbs so far, but they do seem to keep my skin in peek condition :)