So I was kind of out of control this weekend...

Options
jvs125
jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
I have my eating and fitness regimen in check in general... I've been losing consistently over the past weeks, down to 133 from 139. I'm pretty sure with the weekend I just had, I'm up 2-3 pounds again. There was a bbq with friends and when chips, dip, hamburgers are involved, I seem to lose control. Then the next day, same story again with other guests.

So.. this morning I'm ready to get back on track and won't find it so difficult. But how to get in the right frame of mind and not be too restrictive to compensate for the crazy weekend? How to get the courage to step on that scale to see the damage? How to not get too discouraged by the consequences on my action on my goal?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Know that if you undereat, you will be setting yourself up for another overeating episode.
    Know that overeating occasions happen to all of us.
    Just continue on your merry deficit way and you will continue to have success!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    How to get the courage to step on that scale to see the damage? How to not get too discouraged by the consequences on my action on my goal?

Don't weigh yourself this week.

One weekend isn't going to matter in the long run. Get back on track TODAY and weigh yourself again in a month... I can pretty much guarantee you'll keep losing and that this is just a minor setback.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on. All of us have off days, and as long as it's an occasional thing, you'll be fine. You've not sabotaged your progress or failed anything. You're only human.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    I have my eating and fitness regimen in check in general... I've been losing consistently over the past weeks, down to 133 from 139. I'm pretty sure with the weekend I just had, I'm up 2-3 pounds again. There was a bbq with friends and when chips, dip, hamburgers are involved, I seem to lose control. Then the next day, same story again with other guests.

So.. this morning I'm ready to get back on track and won't find it so difficult. But how to get in the right frame of mind and not be too restrictive to compensate for the crazy weekend? How to get the courage to step on that scale to see the damage? How to not get too discouraged by the consequences on my action on my goal?

You would have to had to eaten 7,000 calories above your TDEE to gain 2 pounds. I don't think you did that. Even when you have an off day, just move on. Every one has a day like that now and again. Unless you consistently eat above your calorie goal, you aren't going to gain weight. One day - you'll have some water retention, it will pass in a couple of days.
  • hallen17
    hallen17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually allow myself to have one day a week to eat sort of whatever I want and I still continue to lose weight. I find if I let the reins loose a bit one day a week, I don't fall off the wagon completely later because I've restricted myself so much. I know this doesn't work for everyone but, it's done well for me so far. Don't beat yourself up too much. You are obviously fully aware that you need to get back on track so do just that and keep your head up! :smiley:
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Log what you eat and keep going. I am not a fan of "eat everything" cheat days because I, personally, hate the setback. But, such days do happen and some folks use that strategy and it works for them. No worries. Keep on going.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me, I don't even weigh myself because I know it will be counterproductive for me. I'll feel bad about myself and then eat more. Just think that it's in the past, what's done is done, and the only thing you can do now is move forward again. Dwelling on it will not change it. It will only make you nuts!
  • PratoN
    PratoN Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also had a series of horrible, delicious setbacks this weekend. I had Mexican food for 4 meals in a row (not even mad about it) - one of which involved mango margaritas. Then my friends and I had a "Cheese Fest" last night. We ate grilled cheese with selections of cheddar, goat, Parmesan, port wine, and blue cheese (yuck!). There were also sides of goat brie with cherry fennel spread on crackers, a basil/beet/goat cheese spread with Asiago-covered bread and I’m probably forgetting a few other cheeses. Anyone that truly counts calories knows it’s insane the number of calories in such a small amount of cheese. And then there’s the beer…

I know it doesn’t account for water weight and other fluctuations, so hopefully I didn’t eat 16k calories over what I burned in those 3 days! Seeing me go from 171.6 on Friday morning to 176.2 on Monday morning was depressing.

I don’t have a specific timeline or life events for obtaining my goal, so I’m just going to forget about it and keep eating healthy again. I know that there will be another weekend of overindulgence at some point in the future – hopefully I’ll remember how I felt this morning and binge just a LITTLE less.

PS: Sorry for making everyone hungry.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I did the same and it ran into monday then the following weekend. But I'm going to just try and get back on track.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My weekend was a mess, also, but I'm just gonna pick up where I started. It happens.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you don't gain weight (fat) just because of a crazy weekend or whatever...you don't just over eat a little and get fat...the human body is an incredible machine and will do things in the short run to compensate for excess energy...just as you have to consistently under-eat (diet) to lose weight, so to you have to consistently over-eat to actually put on fat.

when people put on "weekend weight", it's pretty much water, glycogen, and more inherent waste in the system...not everything on the scale is fat.