High Heart Rate - Resting and Exercising

Options
Hello,

I am a 26 year old female, stand 5'6", and weigh 150 pounds. I've heard different opinions from everyone, but I thought I would ask here as well.

My resting heart rate (i.e. when I'm sitting still) averages at 95, but fluctuates between 90 and 100. Walking around my house ranges from 100 - 115.

When exercising, I quickly reach into the high numbers. Walking about 3.0 MPH on a treadmill plateaus at 130 BPM and never drops, but breaking into a run at 4.5 MPH quickly raises it into the 170s. I spent one day at 180 and 185 when I ran a mile at 4.5 MPH. Dropping back to a walk after this exertion does not see a quick recovery. I will drop to about 140 BPM very slowly (at say 2.5 MPH), and when I finally step off the treadmill, I will finally drop back to about 100 BPM.

When doing a full body workout with my trainer, we have to pause between exercises because my heart monitor will start beeping as I reach 180 BPM. This happens with almost every exercise. Whether it's squat jumps, chest presses (with only 20 pounds, mind you), push ups, etc.

When doing the full body workout, I do feel extremely exhausted. My head gets hot, and I want to stop between each exercise just to get some water. When running on the treadmill, though, I don't feel bad. Even with my heart rate at 180, I don't feel like I'm overly exerting myself.

Does this seem out of the ordinary for someone my age and size?

Thanks.

Replies

• dizzybizz
    dizzybizz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you should check this out with your GP. Your resting heart rate comes in at within normal parameters but only a qualified practitioner will be able to ask the right questions, do tests and give advice - there could be lots of reasons eg anemia but as I say your doctor is the best person to consult. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I would be seeing a doctor with having a 95 resting heart rate.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. It's on the high end of what is considered "normal".
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I agree. See your doc, if for nothing more than peace of mind. When I was around your age, same stats even, I was experiencing high HR just like you are describing with mine getting up to 200 sometimes as well. I went to my doc, had a stress test done even and everything there was normal. She suggested a blood panel for thyroid function and it came back with super high thyroid attacking antibodies, and low end of normal thyroid hormone. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (a autoimmune disease). I AM NOT SAYING this will be you, but using my story as an example as to why seeing your doc could be important because you never know the underlying cause for such things. Also, some people just have higher heart rates!
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A resting heart rate under 100 is considered "normal", but a resting heart rate of 95 isn't ideal--just "acceptable", and it is higher than a lot of docs would like it to be. Definitely talk to your doctor!! I was diagnosed with tachycardia at the age of 15 after going into a dead faint while walking down the street. Tachycardia (meaning fast heart rate) can have many causes, ranging from completely harmless (like mild anxiety) to something serious (like a bad heart arrhythmia) , which is why it is so important to talk to your doc! (For the record, now that we know I have lupus, that and the accompanying anemia are probably the two main reasons my heart rate runs faster than normal, though as I've gotten older and healthier, it is now resting in the 70's, so typically when you find the root cause of tachycardia, it can be successfully treated--more reason to talk with your doctor!!)