Running makes me nauseous

Options
yarmiah
yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So, last December I accidentally signed up for a 12mile run thinking it was a 12K.
The date of the run is in Sept, so I started a 14 week training program back in June.
The distances have been steadily increasing, and I am handling it well but a few of the longer runs(6+ miles) and most recently my 8 mile run on Friday, I feel sick about 30 minutes afterward. This last run was done after work, but before dinner so I munched on some nuts and drank some vitamin water 30 minutes before I ran. Again, I felt good during and right after the run, but after getting home and drinking water I started to feel sick. I knew I needed to eat something, but could not. By 9:30 pm the cola syrup started to work so I had a spoonful of peanut butter and a little chicken meat but no where near the replenishment my body probably needed.

Any suggestions on what/when to eat before and/or after to prevent the nausea?

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When you get done with your run, do you slowly drink a little bit of water at a time (over several minutes) or do you drink fast?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    eat oranges, and try some pedialyte (check the spelling) you may be suffering from dehydration... the oranges and pedia will replenish your electrolytes... also some quick absorbing carbs... like pasta... or even a good smoothie should help bring you back up to speed. best of luck
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    So don't run. walk, use an elliptical machine, or find another form of cardio.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    This is actually normal. When I first started running, it happened to me too. The longer the run, the longer I would feel bad. After my first 12 mile run I spent the entire day laying on the couch feeling horrible. The good news is that with consistent running your body will adapt and you will eventually not feel like that anymore. The bad news is that it does take time so you will likely continue to feel like that after your long training runs for a while. There are, however, a few things you can do to minimize the sick feeling... I found cutting back on foods with dairy and then going the day before (for you it would be the day of since you are running in the evening) without any dairy at all really helped the post long run nausea. Stick with it and it will eventually get better - I promise.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me and everyone on the forums said I was pushing myself too hard. I knew that wasn't the case. As I had to solve it on my own, I realized I was having post-workout hypoglycemia. Even just a couple of miles is enough to cause my blood sugar to plummet and leave me severely nauseous later on. So now I carry glucose tablets with me and pop a couple with some water after I cool down from my run. Try that and see if that's your issue. Snacks are a good idea, but since almonds are low in carbohydrates they may not be the best snack if your problem ends up being post workout hypoglycemia.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Could it just be from the heat? I'm in Denver and I get that way if I run on my lunch break. It's not nearly as bad if I wait until after work. I stay hydrated and I constantly pour the extremely cold water on my head and neck. That helps tremendously. And since you're in Maryland (?) you have the humidity to deal with too.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. Back when I went to a gym, I had to pop glucose tabs to be able to drive home. They worked well for me. Maybe worth giving a try.