Squats

Options
jmac4263
jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
I am having trouble as I want to go to the barbell(freeweight) to do my squats and not use the smith machine. I went to do a squat over the weekend with just the bar and about fell over, I tried to correct then and I was leaning way too far forward. With my new routine I do squats every otherday and dont want to use the smith machine, any suggestions on how to correct my form? or get it so that it feels better doing it correctly? I have obvioulsy been relying on the machine too much!!

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    can just use a broom stick at home for a week or two just to get the form down.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You could start with a video of your squats.

BTW I agree stop using smith machines for squats.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started off doing goblet squats with a 10kg (22lb) dumbbell. It could help you get the form right first without the support of the smith machine. Then you can move onto the heavier bar once you're more comfortable. Or does your gym have lower weight fixed bars? Maybe try a 10kg one of those if they do.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    Well I tried doing them not holding a bar or anything and could seem to do them fine, its when I am holding on to the bar its like I completely lose all form, Its not that its too heavy or anything I just think I have never really done them free weight and it feels odd so my form is horrible
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I also recommend not using the smith machine.

does your gym and the fixed weight barbells? They kind of look like this:
    F70617_TroyRubberCoatedFixedBarbells-6.jpg

It could be that the bar is too heavy at the moment.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    I might try those goblet squats though, I have been doing sumo squats with a kettle bell so that might help
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Keep your eyes up, your chest out and push through your heels...
  • jmac4263
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

we dont have those :( I tend to bend forward instead of keeping my back straight and up. Just to prove I wasnt crazy I just went and did a few squats and my form was fine. Why I am struggling with this Is beyond me. I mean I squat plates on the smith machine surely a 45 pound bar isnt causing my issue..... at least i hope not!
  • martybartram
    martybartram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    ^^this^^
    If you are falling forward it sounds like you are not keeping your heels on the ground. Picture your heels nailed to the ground. Everything starts there. A trick we use for checking form is to squat facing a wall. Put your toes right up against the wall. Squat. It forces you to sit back, keeps your alignment correct and keeps those knees from getting in front of your toes---which is dangerous for your knees.
    Good luck

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The smith machine doesn't allow you to engage all of the muscles when you squat. It gives more assistance. It makes sense that when you move to the squat rack, the form is off with just the bar. Some of your accessory muscles aren't at that level yet. (FWIW- I went through the same thing when I switched off the smith machine to the squat rack)

Like the other poster said, goblet squats will help build up some of the accessory muscles.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »

we dont have those :( I tend to bend forward instead of keeping my back straight and up. Just to prove I wasnt crazy I just went and did a few squats and my form was fine. Why I am struggling with this Is beyond me. I mean I squat plates on the smith machine surely a 45 pound bar isnt causing my issue..... at least i hope not!

Work on your core since the smith machine took that away from you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You will bend forward some once you put a barbell on your back. That is normal. You shouldn't be totally bent forward like your back is parallel with the floor but a bit of forward lean is going to happen. If you want to work on back squats, work on back squats, not goblet squats. Don't get me wrong, goblet squats are a good exercise, but a back squat is a different form and you have to practice it to get good at it. Perhaps you should try using a broom handle or piece of pvc in place of a bar.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    Thank you Thank you!! I will be working on it this week and hopefully get my form in shape in no time! Thanks for all the replies :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    probably also worth pointing out that there is a drastic difference in body mechanics of a smith machine squat and a free weight squat.

I have to put my feet considerably far forward in the smith machine in order to be in a position to squat low and still have balance.

maybe just baring in mind that you aren't going to be able to perform these 100% identically to the smith machine squats will help some.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What shoes are you wearing? If runners they can be built up in the heel and off- balance you

But yes practice form
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    ^^this^^
    If you are falling forward it sounds like you are not keeping your heels on the ground. Picture your heels nailed to the ground. Everything starts there. A trick we use for checking form is to squat facing a wall. Put your toes right up against the wall. Squat. It forces you to sit back, keeps your alignment correct and keeps those knees from getting in front of your toes---which is dangerous for your knees.
    Good luck

It's not bad for your knees, that was disproved a long time ago and powerlifting coaches don't teach that as the norm. Other than that, yes a wall is great for practice and mobility and forces you to keep your chest up.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hope this helps.nc78cgbsjxbn.jpg

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    WeaponXI wrote: »
    Hope this helps.nc78cgbsjxbn.jpg

Good post.

OP, goblet squat form mimics front squat form more closely than high-bar or low-bar squats. You can see how upright the front squat is compared to the other two.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I've reluctantly accepted that knee going beyond the toe doesn't equal the end of the world lol.

My thoughts on that, and going bellow parallel, are that they are not going to cause damage on their own, but poor form is potentially more dangerous while in that portion of the movement.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What shoes are you wearing? If runners they can be built up in the heel and off- balance you

But yes practice form

I didnt consider this either, I wear nike trainers to the gym and I havent seemed to have any other problems using them but its all I know as far as shoes for the gym too