How do you find time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I suffer similar problems waking up. I had a sleep study done and found no sleep issues but told I suffer something called sleep inertia. Simply put, I have a difficult time transitioning from sleep to awake. It can take an hour or two some days. I've had friends say I just gotta get up and I'll get used to it, but they don't understand. I have dealt with it my entire life and tried many, many things. I accept that it is just part of who I am.

That said, I think there are ways to ease mornings a bit. Someone listed some good ideas above. Mainly, I avoid caffeine after noon, don't workout too late as it geeks me up, and try to avoid screens within an hour of bed. The other thing I have learned is sleep cycles are roughly 90 minutes long. It varies by person so you may have to play with it some, but on average you should be at your lightest sleep at hour 7.5 and 9. I am off by about ten minutes on that myself so play with your wake up time in that range and see how it goes.

As to finding time - I want to workout so I am opportunistic. If I see a block of time in the day, I just pick my stuff and go do it. Its almost never the same time of day. I also try to look ahead. Tomorrow I know I have something in the evening so I will be looking to hit my workout around lunch. Today, I had some calls around lunch so it will be late afternoon. You just have to make it a priority and when you see a timeslot, go for it even if you think "I dont wanna right now" (we all have those days).
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Priority. I picked a gym that I drive past on the way home AND close to my house. I always have an extra set of workout clothes and my gym shoes in the car. I go in, get out, and carry on with my day. I bought an really good elliptical off Craigslist for cheap and it was barely used! If I really don't have time to go to the gym or snowstorm, I use that instead.

Working out at home...Do it when you're watching tv or waiting for dinner to bake. Try some shortcuts for everyday chores that take up time, like if you make dinner everyday buy a crock pot to use a couple days a week. Bring your kid/dog/husband for a short walk after dinner. Make it a priority once a weekend to go somewhere with the family that involves a lot of walking like a park or zoo.
  • Faith4eva31
    Faith4eva31 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just curious, as I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I end up working out from like 9 to 10 pm after my son is in bed. Anyone have any tips to fit exercise in their day?

I do the exact same thing. That is the only time that I can workout is after my kids go to bed. I have an 11 month and 11 year old, both girls. I am not too much of a morning person and my focus is getting them together and then myself. I usually eat at my desk and use my lunch break to take a walk for at least 20 minutes. The night time is the best for me. The only downside to that is sometimes if I workout too late, I end up staying up. That's when I try and make me a cup of sleepytime tea. ;)
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    How about doing something that you enjoy and can easily fit into your daily routine?! Depending on the age of your son, take him out for a long walk, for a bike ride, go swimming together etc. If it's something that you actually enjoy doing, rather than feeling like you have to do it, you will suddenly find it much easier to make the time.

I have two boys, two years old and three months old. I take them both out for long walks every day and take my eldest swimming regularly. There's probably 'better' exercise I 'could' be doing, but because I don't enjoy it or can't do it with the kids, I know I won't actually do it!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Just curious, as I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I end up working out from like 9 to 10 pm after my son is in bed. Anyone have any tips to fit exercise in their day?

There is nothing wrong with exercising at night after your son is in bed, unless you just don't like it. Do you work outside the home? If so, you could workout on your lunch hour. If your son is old enough to ride a bike, you could ride with him, or run along side. If he's old enough to hike, hiking is wonderful exercise and a great way for children to learn about nature. Swimming is another good family exercise.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Define exercise. You can run in place for 5 minutes at a time here and there. Each "session" adds about 1000 steps. It doesn't burn as many calories as real running, but it still counts. I do it as the "price" for watching television - 5 minutes of running per 30 minutes of watching tv.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have to exercise in the late evening. I am up at 5 am to get ready for work. I teach, so I do not have a "lunch break". I am lucky if I have 15 min. I also have meetings 3x a week so I don't get home until 6. Then it's cook dinner, homework with my daughter, then I get my time. It works for me and my Husband knows this is sacred time.
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I work full time 5 days a week and have 2 small kids so I don't have a lot of spare time!

I go to the gym in my lunch break twice a week just for half an hour; one night a week my husband has the kids in the evening so that I can go to the gym and I do 2 classes back to back; and my husband and I are also doing T25 5 nights a week as soon as we put the kids to bed. I also walk 55 minutes a day as part of my daily commute to work (although strictly speaking that last one isn't optional :smile: )

It's like other posters have said, you just have to make time for it, preferably in a way that fits around your daily life. I personally can't bear the thought of getting up at 5am to work out so I find the time for it elsewhere in my daily routine.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Wake up earlier, sleep less... cut out TV time... lots of options.

Also the "I'm not a morning person" comments that ppl always make.... they're full of it. You adjust to waking up earlier like anything else in life, you're currently just accustom to going to bed later and sleeping in later.

Or you could exercise while your favorite show is on.

Or just skip the TV. To me my health is much more important than any POS tv show.

why do they have to POS
    I can do some great work while watching tv
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    One thing though... make sure you're getting enough sleep. If you have a relatively active job, getting enough sleep is more important than exercising, IMO...

So waking up at 5am is nice and all, but it means you have to go to bed at 10pm max to get enough sleep. I'm not sure people who sleep 6 hours or less so they can exercise are doing what's best, frankly. That's why I'm such a big fan of exercising in front of the TV. Most people watch TV anyway... might as well take advantage of it.

But you don't have to exercise to lose weight anyway, if it's your goal.
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate to be able to ask my boss if I could come in late two days a week, so I could run in the morning. And then at least once a week I walk to a farther train station (a mile and a quarter away, instead of just a few yards.) It adds up!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options

Do you go to work? Can you walk as part of your commute?

Do you take your son to school or child care or something? Can you walk him there and back?

In the evenings, is there a park nearby? Can you take your son to the park to play? Chase him around the park, play tag, bring a ball and play a game.

At some point you probably need to get groceries. Can you park at the far end of the parking lot and walk from there?

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make time.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those adapters with a timer so my bedside lamp comes on 5 min before my alarm goes off. It REALLY helps!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I walk 3 miles during lunch at work. When I get home from work I can either ride my bike or kayak for a half hour to an hour. If I kayak 3 times a week and ride my bike 3 times a week, it leaves 1 day that I only have to walk.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    part of my journey to fitness started when my 3rd child went off to college. It really helps not to have to work around my children's schedules. that freed up my afternoons. I would work out 2 days per week at school with my personal trainer (one of the gym teachers). Six months later I joined a local gym right near my house on the way home and I would go 2-3 other days per week for cardio. I've also taken some trainer-led exercise classes. I put these on the family calendar and do my best to work around them.
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My job is physical and sweaty, and if I injure my body (or even cut my hand) I can't work, and therefore can't make money. I worry more about getting enough sleep and stress reduction. In the morning I refuse to use an alarm clock so I wake up anywhere between 7-10am (I work afternoons/evenings) I do whatever physical movement I feel like, usually yoga for a while until I'm fully awake, then squats, planks, whatever's low impact that'll get my heart rate up a little. I also refuse to time my sessions of this because I obsess over it, but over time I've noticed its usually around 40 minutes until I feel like i'm about done. Yoga is a freaking magical way to wake your body up, and a great way to warm up for anything more strenuous. Then I have to go to 6 hours of physical labor, and my evenings are for moving as little as possible and taking epsom salt baths, reading, etc.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    I bought one of those adapters with a timer so my bedside lamp comes on 5 min before my alarm goes off. It REALLY helps!

That is brilliant! I didn't know such a thing existed. I must go search Amazon right now!
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »

That is brilliant! I didn't know such a thing existed. I must go search Amazon right now!

Haha glad I could contribute. Best thing I ever did! My friend has one so that the light comes on before she gets home for her puppy. I looked at it and thought "Hmmm this idea can be transferred to decreasing the size of my thighs!"
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I have serious issues waking up. I got an alarm clock that has a built-in lamp as a gift and it's amazing. You set an alarm and 30 minutes beforehand the lamp starts getting brighter, then at the alarm time a radio/alarm/nature sound of your choice goes off. Really really helpful.