greek yogurt vs. original

Options
2»

Replies

• LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Explain to me why everyone specifically suggests greek yogurt and not just 'yogurt'?

Greek-Style yogurt has some liquid whey removed from the finished yogurt. Since the whey is mostly Sugar water (plus a bit of protein, sodium, and a significant amount of calcium) it increases the ratio of other nutrients (including protein) to volume.

3 cups of Greek-Style yogurt is roughly equivalent to 4 cups of "normal" yogurt, but with 13 grams of lactose and some water removed. That leaves you higher Protein:Carb ratio, something many people are after for various reasons.

Me, I prefer it for the taste!

EDIT: For more details on what is lost in the whey, do a database search for "Generic - Liquid Whey From Fat Free Yogurt Making" or I posted some detailed info in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1013648-makin-yogurt?hl=makin'+yogurt

Interesting, thank you.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I prefer quark over any kind of yoghurt, if I wanna eat it as dessert or in combination wih something sweet or fruits. I use normal yoghurt with my indian meals. I tried greek yoghurt, but for me, I don't need it. ;-)
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love Greek style yoghurt. I've been using it since long before starting my weightloss journey. Two main reasons:
    1. the higher protein content
    2. because it is so thick and not as tangy as 'original' it is sooo versatile, for example:
    - I use it instead of sour cream in recipes,
    - to make healthy dips,
    - mixed with salsa or lemon juice for salad dressings, or with a little sweet chilli sauce for a delicious seafood salad dressing,
    - mixed with some red onion, spring onion or chives, maybe some fresh garlic, and some salt and pepper as a refreshing and healthy bread spread
    - it makes a much more yummy (to me) Tzatziki
    and,
    - being a mayonnaise addict (and I Hate commercial reduced fat mayo), I make my own 'reduced fat' mayo version by using (just) 1 part full fat whole egg mayo to 2 parts Greek style yoghurt with a little Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and voilá, I can fulfil my mayo cravings (still used sparingly)
    - probably lots of other uses, these just from the top of my head right now
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    To make your own Greek Yogurt just hang regular yogurt in cheese cloth until the liquid drains.

I've been making Indian food for years and some recipes call for "Hung Yogurt," which, as it turns out, is what we now call Greek yogurt. It's actually saved me a lot of time on certain recipes since I can just buy a tub of Chobani plain rather than hang my own (though I still will hang my own if I know I want to make something enough in advance).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Regular yogurt tends to be loaded with sugar!!! Sometimes more than ice cream or soda. With greek yogurt, you get high protein and low sugar...so it's healthier!

Assuming we're talking about unsweetened plain yogurt, it's not "loaded" with sugar. It does have a higher sugar content than Greek, because much of the naturally occurring sugars in the milk are strained out in Greek yogurt. Yogurt, whether Greek or regular, can only be loaded with sugar if they've been sweetened with something. Just an FYI, because I see this a lot.

When yogurt is strained (ala greek style) .... the liquid that gets drained off is tart .... so Greek yogurt needs less sugar to sweeten it.

BUT - this brings up a good point. Don't assume all Greek yogurt has less sugar .... it just starts out that way.

Greek (not greek style) should be strained ...... adding milk solids (instead of straining) doesn't bring down the tartness (alas high sugar again) .... be sure to read the label.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lol, Greek Yogurt is just a market trend right now. I like it better than the regular because it's not as watery. All Greek yogurt is just a 2nd whey draining. I am sure the big companies are making more money by having us switch to Greek, they can keep the drainage and use it in something. I plan to make some one time. :)

Basically, if you take the regular kind and let it sit in the fridge in a mesh strainer, you will have Greek Yogurt.

Another thing is traditionally, Greek Yogurt was not made from the milk of the cow, but of the sheep. I don't think it's that way with Greek Yogurt in America though.

It's goat's milk .... and yes, it's a requirement for "Greek" yogurt in the country of Greece.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's goat's milk .... and yes, it's a requirement for "Greek" yogurt in the country of Greece.
    Goat, sheep, horse.... One of those "weird" milks that United Statesians don't generally drink. :laugh: