I hate birthdays

Options
2»

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Birthdays are one of those times where I don't worry that much. I mean, I do try and eat things in moderation, but it's ok to go over from time to time. For example, on Saturday evening my husband's family took us all out for ice cream for my birthday. Now, I had gotten to my limit by that time, but it was nice of them so I agreed. I had one small scoop with hot fudge. Enough to feel treated, but not enough to completely derail the day, even if it did put me over. And the next day, I kept a much closer watch on my calories.

The thing is, a lot of people celebrate with food. You can ask not to do it, but you have to ask yourself if that's really what you want to do for special occasions. If it is, just ask politely for people not to make you food, or let them know you won't be able to eat very much of it. Just remember that these are OCCASIONS, not everyday. Going over on special occasions isn't a big deal. Just log it as best you can and start fresh the next day. You may gain a few ounces out of it, but weight fluctuates daily and depends on other things, like hormones and water weight. If your weight is trending up, then you have to do some damage control. But as long as the overall trend is down, you're fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    any weight you put on the scale is water...math.

also, in the grand scheme, it's pretty much irrelevant...your health, fitness, nutrition, etc are not predicated on a handful of annual occasions but rather, how you life your life most of the time.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sad post is sad.

OP, most of the weight you gained is likely water retention from eating higher carb and sodium foods than normal. Give it a few days, hydrate, and don't hate on celebrations because you're trying to lose weight.

ETA: You know your birthday is coming every year....you can always cut your calories back a little bit the few days before to balance out a high calorie day. Same with holidays, parties, nights out, etc....

Exactly! Not enjoying your birthday or feeling guilty over a piece of cake is a diet not a lifestyle change. I make room in my diet to eat chocolate chip cookies with my kids, trips to the ice cream store, date nights with pizza, football games with wings...

I don't do it everyday. balance is key. Press on! Happy birthday!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well, you talk to your loving family about your goals in advance and what you want to do for your birthday... maybe say clearly that you want to not celebrate with so much food but doing other special things. Give them specific ideas.
    If they make you some food you love then you say to them thanks for thinking of me and making an effort. Feel lucky that you have people in your life attempting to do nice things for you. Pre-log the food items and figure out what a reasonable serving would be. Eat it and move on.
    Plan to have a maintenance calorie day for your birthday. Don't call it self-abuse.
    Get back to your regular eating and exercising.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have found that setting expectations early and often with family and friends is ideal and necessary to combat the stress of unwanted gifts. For me, I hate birthdays because I hate getting obligatory gifts and I'm not about to be happy about one more candle or bath gel I have to regift or figure out a way to use. (I know. I'm terribly ungrateful, it's just how I feel). In either case, I know that if I tell people what my expectations are, it's easier to remind them of what I already told them than to surprise and disappoint them in the moment.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OP, I can relate as I have felt the same feelings and thought the same thoughts.

But let it go! Rejoice that your family is there to love you and make delicious food for you. Live your life and don't begrudge you daughter, who won't be 12 for very long, a chance to make daddy a special cake.