Getting "lazy" DURING a workout... find myself walking instead of running

Options
Getting lazy DURING a workout... find myself walking instead of running even when I'm not physically particularly tired. Stuff like that.

Suggestions?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "stop sucking"

that's pretty much the best thing to tell yourself. Why are you letting yourself break stride to walk? are you talking yourself out of it?

Talk yourself back into it- do more interval training if you find a hard time maintaining stride- or slow down.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Lift. Can't get lazy when you are lifting. Find a program and you'll have an agenda in the gym.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You gotta train your mind, not just your body. Ultimately the only thing that can keep you going is you.

Some things that might help:
    -Run slower. (Don't let your mind hit the "it's okay to walk" exhaustion point)
    -Plan to do run/walk intervals and set your watch accordingly to either time or distance. "I run this far, then I get to walk. Okay, time to run again."
    -Run with music. When you want to stop, talk yourself into finishing the song. Finishing the next song. Etc.
    -Run with a partner or group.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is great stuff, folks! More, please!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Playing Devil's advocate, even walking is good for you. Maybe you just get bored. Maybe slowing down wouldn't be bad. You can alternate easy workout days, and intense workout days. (I do that, and it makes my intense days a lot better).
  • JazzKazz150
    JazzKazz150 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm running on a treadmill, I like to watch a show thats more than 20 minutes long. I find that when I'm watching something, I'm more distracted and less likely to get bored. If you're running outside, listen to music and every time a chorus comes on, force yourself to run as fast as you can, almost as if you're having a race with yourself. Maybe also take a different route. Sometimes for me personally if I run the same route everyday, I'll get bored with the scenery around me and therefore get bored of running. By taking a different route, its like you're going on an adventure around your area. Run with a friend if you can, or even pets if you have any! Also some self motivation goes a long way too! :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Are you training too much? Bored with your workouts? Do you have a goal you are working towards?

I could branch out into tangents about either of those questions.....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »
    Getting lazy DURING a workout... find myself walking instead of running even when I'm not physically particularly tired. Stuff like that.

Suggestions?

Why? Bored? Over training? Under eating?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    The best thing that was told to me when I started C25K training to begin my new adventures in running was that I should be prepared for days when I just can't/won't run! The first time this happened I was glad I had been told that because I got ready and was all pumped, I could envision my run and everything . . . but it just didn't happen - I could never get my stride going.

Nothing wrong with walking, maybe do some intervals, running or walking! Watching the time or waiting for that ding allows me to focus on that and not so much or what I am doing.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    it very well could be the various mental blocks as other posters have mentioned. On the flip side, are you exercising outside with warmer temps, higher humidity, or both? If you aren't used to it, higher heat index can definitely take a toll, especially when it feels like you can cut the air or need gills to breathe. Do you have any new/different/extra niggles of discomfort or pain? You could be subconsciously protecting yourself.

I would say pay close attention to everything (how you feel, did you change what or when you ate, the weather) when you find yourself walking.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Perhaps running isn't for you....try other things until you find one which doesn't bore you
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Elyptical bores me so does stationary but like someone said, lift, you can't get bored or lazy while lifting xD
    you just can't
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Did you try not being lazy?
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You gotta train your mind, not just your body. Ultimately the only thing that can keep you going is you.

Some things that might help:
    -Run slower. (Don't let your mind hit the "it's okay to walk" exhaustion point)
    -Plan to do run/walk intervals and set your watch accordingly to either time or distance. "I run this far, then I get to walk. Okay, time to run again."
    -Run with music. When you want to stop, talk yourself into finishing the song. Finishing the next song. Etc.
    -Run with a partner or group.

Good post.

I started getting tired with about 8 mins left in my run today. I had music going, and kept telling myself keep going until the end of the song. And I said the same thing with the next song etc. My quit timer finally went off, and I was proud to have worked through a hard run. It is a good thing the run was over, as I couldn't have taken much more.

Like you said, you have to train your mind to focus on something else for as long as you can.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Suggestions?

Why? Bored? Over training? Under eating?

Yeah please answer these, also - how's your sleep?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Are you training too much? Bored with your workouts? Do you have a goal you are working towards?

I could branch out into tangents about either of those questions.....

Yeah, when I'm over training, I feel bored before I notice feeling exhausted. Part of my current effort to avoid over training is to pay attention to that, and be "lazy" sometimes.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

Are you running indoors?

If not, are you running somewhere boring like city side walks?