Fingers swelling after walking - can't take my rings off!

Options
I wear a Jawbone UP and I've had a really good week of steps - my average is over 8,000 steps per day. I've noticed that after lots of walking, my hands and fingers swell up. Even though I'm down a few pounds from my highest weight ever, and even then I could remove my rings just fine most days, I haven't been able to take off my wedding ring for 4 days now. The pinky ring that goes with my wedding ring can go on and off, but my ring finger has a huge bulge at the very bottom joint and there's just no way. Is it water retention? I'm also drinking loads more water than I usually do. Probably close to the recommended 8 cups a day, which is a LOT of water for me. I usually have to force myself to drink around 4-5 cups. 168 down to 164.

Replies

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't care, except for the fact that I have long curly hair and it's awful trying to do my hair because my ring (and therefore hand) keeps getting stuck in my hair! Will the problem be alleviated simply by losing more weight, or am I doing something wrong either nutritionally or physically? Walking is pretty much my main exercise, but I've also been doing about 15 minutes of various weight machines when I go to the gym, about 4x/week.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me; it's pretty normal from what I've seen. And if you think it's bad that your ring gets caught in your hair, take it off before working out.

Big embarrassment for me, my fiancee proposed when we were out on a hike, and the ring was a **** to get on because my fingers had swelled. Luckily it fits fine when I'm not out walking or hiking.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Just had a quick look at your diary. Do you normally eat that much salt? Looks like sodium could be an issue for you - beef broth, lunch meat, etc.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have the same things happen sometimes and I usually drink 64oz of water a day, so it isn't a lack of water. I think it is because I have had my hands down and the fluid goes down. It usually resolves in a few minutes after I'm done walking. Doesn't always happen either.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's the centrifugal force from swinging your arms. (Here's a study about it affecting dog owners who walk their pets.)

I would suggest taking your rings off while exercising. I never do any exercise with my rings on because my fingers either swell or they shrink due to too much A/C and I'm afraid of flinging my rings across the gym.
  • happysquidmuffin
    Options
    That's the issue though - can't take the ring off AT ALL in the morning or at night - so I have to shampoo my hair and attempt to scrunch my hair w/ mousse, gel etc all with my ring on. It's not just swollen after workouts, but all the time now. It's not cutting off circulation or anything though.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Happens to me every time I walk with my hands down and swinging (vs. walking on a treadmill holding onto the handles, for instance) - I think it's pretty normal. Just gravity pulling the fluid downward. Like someone else said, just take your rings off before your walk.

ETA - You could try bending your arms at the elbows and keeping them in the position at your sides, like when you run - and maybe that would help the swelling to not happen. I'm not sure though.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sodium is probably the culprit. My fingers swell after I walk, but go down after a couple hours. If they're staying swollen, I'd be willing to bet it's the sodium.
  • stephylynn190
    stephylynn190 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would cut back on salt to keep your fingers from swelling so much in the future. For now try this.... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2661190/Ever-got-ring-stuck-finger-Viral-video-reveals-trick-getting-No-margarine-required.html

My friend friend saw this a long time ago and swears it worked for her.
  • happysquidmuffin
    Options
    Hmm, ok thanks for the responses! I don't normally eat tons of sodium but I did have a few high days... when I can get my ring off, I will make sure to take it off before I exercise at night from now on.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

This is normal for me. I tend to take off my wedding ring to exercise.

I wear a Jawbone UP and I've had a really good week of steps - my average is over 8,000 steps per day. I've noticed that after lots of walking, my hands and fingers swell up. Even though I'm down a few pounds from my highest weight ever, and even then I could remove my rings just fine most days, I haven't been able to take off my wedding ring for 4 days now. The pinky ring that goes with my wedding ring can go on and off, but my ring finger has a huge bulge at the very bottom joint and there's just no way. Is it water retention? I'm also drinking loads more water than I usually do. Probably close to the recommended 8 cups a day, which is a LOT of water for me. I usually have to force myself to drink around 4-5 cups. 168 down to 164.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Funny story- I had to go get resized again- and I went to the jewelery store- and it was about 20 minutes after I just got done running 4 miles... whoops- almost a size 6- I needed a 5.5.

Went 30 minutes later somewhere and tried on my friend's 5.5- fit great.

Now I know- 1.) fingers are fatter in the AM- and 2.) there's extra blood from the arms moving that gets stuck in my fingers- so my fingers are extra fat.

I pretty much chose not to wear my ring for workouts and running- to much work/risk/discomfort.