I over eat when I'm bored.... Any tips?

Options
So... I don't over eat when I'm sad, I eat when I'm bored.

Who has this problem? How do you deal with it?

Now I'm really bored and all I can think of is "I want to eat something"

Any tips will be much appreciated

Replies

• threadlove
    threadlove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The key is to find things to keep you busy so you won't be bored. Make a list, housework, fun things, movies you want to watch, games you can play. When you feel bored go to your list and choose something. Boredom is a choice, there's too much life to live to choose it.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way.

When I'm bored and want to begin snacking I try to focus on my long-term goals and go for a light workout, drink some water/tea, or clean up around the house. Anything active to keep my mind and hands busy works well for me.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    1. "Un-bore" yourself (e.g., I started googling cool hiking trails around where I live and I will go each Saturday morning and try one out).
    and/or
    2. Transition to low cal snacks. (e.g., this might sound weird...but baby carrots and apple cider vinegar are one of my favorite snacks. I used to dip the carrots in the vinegar...now I fill up a shot glass and eat the bowl of carrots while sipping the shot. I also like edamame.)

ETA: I also love pickles...and dills are virtually calorie-less :)
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. When I am bored, I tend to mindlessly walk to the fridge. For me reading a good book, or going outside to do yard work will usually get my mind off it.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Just the tip.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I keep a baggy of celery handy for this purpose. I can munch away and the calories are next to nothing.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    gum. tea. coffee. drink a water bottle... it fills u up... one time i was in the "snacking" mood at like 10 o clock at night... so i whipped up some broccoli.... it was really good.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough protein every day. Increase your water intake (over 10 cups/day). And drink tea often. :heart:
  • Monica_SanDiego
    Monica_SanDiego Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bored eater, yes. Emotional eater, no.

Sometimes I'll eat something small like one waffle with a bit of chocolate/hazelnut spread or I'll have some flavored tea.

But ultimately .. I try to find something to do.

Monica.