Spinning and using HRMs

Options
I've been getting into spinning twice a week and am looking into a HRM that will more accurately tell me how many calories I burn in my 50min class and where my heart rate is. Can any spinners out there who use HRMs tell me which one(s) they think are good for that particular workout. I've been looking to Polars. The FT4 and F6 to be exact. I'm looking for something basic but that doesn't cross talk and also seems to work during the intensive spin class.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    my wife uses her Polar F7 for the spin classes we do, make sure you get one with a chest strap
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Two things:

Get one with a chest strap, and make sure it's a "coded" chest strap. (the salesperson will know what that means).

Coded means that if you are next to someone who also has a chest strap on, they won't mess each other up. (this can be a problem if you are too close to another transmitter (chest strap).

I have a Polar F11, but it's really too much for what I use it for. If I had to buy it again, I'd probably go for an F6 or whatever the basic coded model is.

A main thing on HRMs: check/adjust your settings often. (when you lose/gain weight, when your resting heart rate improves) This is crucial in getting a close to accurate burn.

HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm still having a hard time choosing between the Polar F6 and FT4. Both are "coded" like viviakay mentioned. The FT4 is about 20 bucks cheaper and I'm thinking I won't use all the features on the F6. I also hate the color pink :/ I know that's a ridiculous reason not to want that one - especially if it's better!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Hey, does it come in other colors? I don't think that's a bad reason to chose/not to chose...you'll wear it a lot.

It's been a while since I've compared models, are there any other diffs in the two models? I thought the FT4 wasn't coded, but that may have changed.

If the "better" features are something you would use, go for the higher model (I think you can get it not in pink). If they're not, save your dollars. (I overbought features-wise...the F11 does about ten more things than I use it for.)

And yes, the whole pink thing drives me batty---I went to buy boxing gloves and they tried to sell me a pink pair. "These are the women's gloves" the dude said. "Are you bleeping kidding me?" I said (I did not say "bleeping".:wink: ) I left with a pair of men's small gloves that were two ounces heavier than the pink ones. Bleagh. Pink.
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Haha! According to google there are other colors for the F6 but I cannot find anyone who sells them! I've spend some more time comparing the two and the FT4 does state that it is coded. I looked at some reviews and someone actually mentioned using it for spinning class and loving it! The F6 has a lot of diary and information storing feature that I'm not sure I'll use. I just want something to tell me when I'm in my target heart rate and give me a good reading of calories burned.

And what is with this "pink" being the girl color for everything?! Boys don't have to choose blue. I don't own anything pink (except a bright pink sportsbra). I'd love for that marketing campaign to stop. And pink boxing gloves? The girl who wears those in the ring deserves a good KO ;)
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Haha! According to google there are other colors for the F6 but I cannot find anyone who sells them! I've spend some more time comparing the two and the FT4 does state that it is coded. I looked at some reviews and someone actually mentioned using it for spinning class and loving it! The F6 has a lot of diary and information storing feature that I'm not sure I'll use. I just want something to tell me when I'm in my target heart rate and give me a good reading of calories burned.

And what is with this "pink" being the girl color for everything?! Boys don't have to choose blue. I don't own anything pink (except a bright pink sportsbra). I'd love for that marketing campaign to stop. And pink boxing gloves? The girl who wears those in the ring deserves a good KO ;)

I will say that I do enjoy the diary function on the HRM I have....it is super cool to look at your total exercise minutes/calories, etc for the past year...that is something I would miss if I didn't have.