Dumb Question: Maybe?

Options
Calories v. Macros; which is more important?

Here is my thought process: They BOTH are important, for sure. So ideally, it makes logical sense that you would eat a proper calorie amount with your correct macros.

But here is my question: If there is a day where my calorie intake is at my target to maintain my deficit, but my macros aren't right, should I eat something to balance it out if it puts my calories over?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Calories

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    One day is of little consequence in a diet. Overall balance is what's important.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Calories.
    I've been here over a year and I don't count macros. I know they're important too but I can only focus on one thing at a time. So I chose the more important, which is calories.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Calories are more important to me right now. I suspect eventually macros might take that spot soon.
  • sjhatcu
    sjhatcu Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had multiple macro coaches tell me they wouldn't have me go over my calorie count just to fit in a macro. I'm sure everybody has different opinions, but that makes the most sense to me. And as somebody said, one day is of little consequence either way.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Calories, but if you look at your weekly average rather than daily its a whole lot easier to hit both.

ETA: Hitting your calorie goal will likely be a lot easier if you hit your macro goals. If I don't get enough protein and fat (heavy carbs), I stay hungry. Not enough carbs and I can't go as hard in the gym/martial arts. If you're happily hitting your dietary and fitness goals, I'd worry very little about it.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »

Here is my thought process: They BOTH are important, for sure. So ideally, it makes logical sense that you would eat a proper calorie amount with your correct macros.

But here is my question: If there is a day where my calorie intake is at my target to maintain my deficit, but my macros aren't right, should I eat something to balance it out if it puts my calories over?

If you're trying to lose weight calories are more important than macros. However, in order to maintain lean muscle while losing you should try to eat at least .6-.8g of protein per lb of body weight and maybe more if you're lifting. Macros become more important if you're doing low carb, high fat or if you're lifting and trying to put on muscle, etc.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    calories are the prime directive. To lose weight, you must be at a deficit. No way around that.

That said, I cringe when folks say "the only thing that matters is CICO." I get what they are saying, but that ignores health and where the weight comes from. The body will burn adipose (fat) and LBM (lean body mass) and there are some scientific nuances to what fuel your body burns and when. For me, macro's are important to ensure I minimize LBM loss and stay healthy (I also try to watch my micro's to ensure I get enough of everything).

That said, there is flexibility in Macro's - you will never be perfect in that department so just try to hit a range. If you miss a number one day, don't sweat it. Stay under your caloric deficit daily and think in keeping macro's balanced weekly.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Calories.

But keep in mind: calories come from macros. While its not necessarily important to stress over macros, you do want to make sure you're getting the nutrition your body needs. Things to be cautious of, in my opinion: restricting your fat too much, not getting enough protein, not getting enough fruits & veggies. You may have different things to be wary of. Such as if you're vegan you may not need to worry about getting enough veggies/fruits - but might want to make sure you're getting enough protein.
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Great question - thanks for posting, op. And thanks for the answers, all.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight than calories is the most important.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I pay attention to my macros, I feel full and that makes compliance with CICO easy and so I can lose weight without suffering and wanting to binge.

However, I don't eat more than my allotted calories just to hit my macros.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Calories is most important, in my opinion. I actually don't pay attention to my macros. With that being said, if you're worried about not getting enough nutrition, keep an eye on them. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight, but if you're not getting the nutrition you need, it won't be healthy weight loss. Also, if you have medical reasons to track certain things, then you need to pay attention to them.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I find that if I simply focus on getting enough protein while still staying under the calorie goal, it's a lot easier for the fat/carbs to fall in place where they should be. Just my 2 cents.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Both serve a purpose, but for general weight loss, calories are going to help you along just fine.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want. If the goal is weight loss, keep to your calories. If you want lots of protein and you're under, eat it.

One day makes very little difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    weight management is all about calories. macros are just what makes up those calories...there is no singular ideal macro ratio...someone who is a marathon runner for example is going to have a different ideal macro ratio than a power lifter for example.

macros can be used to help you balance out your diet and examine your nutrition...and they can be important to physical fitness performance and recovery...but they really make little difference where weight management is concerned.

personally, i think macros are great to be aware of for general guidance...but people get way too over the top obsessed with them around here IMO.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Within any sensible range, short term macros aren't terribly important. Unless you are a performance athlete or have specific health issues, it just doesn't matter whether you are at 35% carbs or 55% carbs for a day or a few days.
  • AndyP2018
    AndyP2018 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What is your body shape and what is your goal.?, calories will rule if your looking to drop weight, but how these calories are made up is important to your goal. As you may need to keep protein high to hold muscle as you drop weight. Good luck✊
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Like others have said, calories.

For me macros matter for a few reasons: (1) making sure I have an easier time complying with my calorie goal; (2) getting enough protein to maintain lean body mass; and (3) getting enough carbs to have optimal workouts. For the first, obviously there'd be no benefit to going over. For the other two, it's more an issue of what I typically eat not one specific day's meals, so I wouldn't worry about one day, but only if I seemed to be having trouble hitting my macros more generally or (with respect to (3)) was having poor workouts. If those were the case, I'd try to come up with a strategy to do better, but I wouldn't exceed my calories just to add more protein, for example.

If I were trying to bulk this might be different, but I've been working on losing or maintenance since being at MFP.