Which size would YOU buy?

Options
I am a bridesmaid in my good friend's wedding at the end of September. I also am attending another wedding before that, probably around early to mid August. We went and tried on bridesmaids dresses the other day and I was very excited to see that my bridesmaid dress will be fine to wear to the other wedding as well. I'm on a budget and $150 for one dress would be nice to wear to both. But I'm not sure if I should by my current size or if I should by a size smaller. I am losing pretty consistently 2 lbs a week but I know that could always change. I wondered if I bought the smaller size if it would motivate me to lose more quickly, but I am definitely worried about not losing enough in time... What would you do?

Replies

• 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would buy your current size. Bridesmaid's dresses are very weird when it comes to sizing--I know you will keep losing, but will it be in just the right areas to fit into the smaller size?? If you buy the dress that is your current size, it will be easy and relatively cheap to have it taken in and you will feel awesome knowing that you succeeded in your weight loss. You'll go into the wedding with a spring in your step! If you buy the dress that is smaller, you risk stressing yourself out, overextending your budget, and being too hard on yourself if you realize you didn't lose "enough" to fit into the smaller dress.

I always go with "under promise but over deliver".
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I would probably buy my current size and then just get it taken in. If you buy a smaller size and your weight loss slows down a little bit, then you'll start panicking and doing crazy stuff to lose enough to fit into the dress.

Even if you continue losing, you may not actually drop a dress size. I lost 30 lbs about 18 months ago and I didn't actually go down a size! My face looked better, and my body looked better, but I still fit into all my clothes and I didn't need to get smaller stuff.
  • rmontpetit
    rmontpetit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend of how the dress is made. If it is done in a way you can modify it (bigger and/or smaller) easily I would go the smallest size I can fit in and been little uncomfortable and have it fix before the wedding. But if the dress is not made to be change it would buy my current size. There is always a way to make it smaller.
    Hope you understand, English is not my first language...
  • trin5703
    trin5703 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As others have said, its always easier to take in a dress (and bridesmaids dresses are NOTORIOUS for being oddly sized) than to let one out. Besides, you want to go to the wedding, dance, laugh and have a great time. You cant do that if the dress is too small and you are uncomfortable.