My calorie goals

Options
Sorry, I know this post has been done a million times.

I am 5'6" tall, 132 lb. I had set a goal of a pound a week, therefore MFP told me 1200 calories a day. I have been doing this for about a week (was away Saturday/Sunday, but did not deviate from what I usually eat during the week).

I'm trying to maintain some sort of balance, as you can see from my diary, I like beer. I don't know how long I should wait before deciding if 1200 is too low for me. I haven't had any complaints from my eating plan. I always feel satisfied, never overly hungry or starving in between meals/snacks.

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is MFP's lowest minimum default. You got that number because your weekly goal is 1 pound a week.....1/2 pound a week is a moderate goal for within 10 pounds of goal.

But if you feel satisfied with 1200, if you can stick with it long term that's fine. Keep in mind added exercise will give you more calories too. Really large deficits make it hard for your body to fuel existing lean muscle. If 1200 is a large difference from future maintenance, it could be harder to maintain (it may seem like a free-for-all).
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to stick with it for a little longer, see if it still works for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    1200 is your base and you're earning more through exercise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight I believe 1200 is too low. How active are you? What is your weight goal?
  • jumpybeans
    Options
    I rollerblade probably 3-4 times a week (30-45 minutes) and am doing body weight exercises. I'm at 132, looking to be 120 ish
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    1200 calories and beer don't go together. I would keep the beer an drop the 1200 calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? What are you doing as far as bodyweight training?

It's very easy to stay low cal for a week. Is it sustainable? Not necessarily. Combined with intense cardio and minimal strength training, it's a recipe for muscle loss. I'm not sure what kind of bodyweight program you're on but be aware of that. You are already aiming for the lowest end of the healthy weight range. You don't want to be at the weakest end too.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You may want to slow the weight loss down to 0.5 pounds a week and/or consider eating back 1/2 of your exercise calories (if you aren't already).
  • jumpybeans
    Options
    You are right. I looked at my goals and actually had it set to 1.5 lb a week. I changed it to 0.5 lb a week.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    If you are eating back exercise calories, you can actually eat more than 1200. I looked at your diary, and even with the beer, it looks as if you are eating OK. Today, you ate more than 1200. I have the same issue -- I like to have a glass of wine every night, so sometimes I go over a little. Tonight, my spouse made me a skinny cocktail with vodka and light cranberry juice, and I went over. As long as you're not downing a 6-pack and sacrificing nutrition for booze.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It would be very difficult to nourish your body properly and drink beer on a 1200 calorie a day diet. Consider dropping the beer or upping the calories.

Exercise lets you eat more, too.
  • jumpybeans
    Options
    After seriously considering this, I feel as though I may be too low. I'm basing this on the fact that yes, I am sacrificing nutrition for booze. I want to have my beer or two but want enough calories for it as well.

With that in mind, I've chose new goals (loss of 0.5 lb a week) and have upped my calorie intake.