Loving planning a TREAT in my day but have to HIDE the bag to maintain control!

Options
petitehealth
petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am finding that when I have a craving it is really working for me to plan it into the next day and work the remaining calories to still meet my macro and calories goals. HOWEVER, most items don't come in single servings so I am stuck with the temptation sitting in my house..calling my name during weak moments. For example, I have been really craving oreos, so I figured I would plan them into my meals a couple nights this week (2 double stuff oreos with a glass of almond milk). That's only 4-6 DS oreos out of a full package! When I got home from the grocery store, I portioned out 2 oreos each in a couple zip lock bags, then I asked future hubby to hide the rest. (luckily he is tall so there are plenty of places I can't reach).

What do you do to stop yourself from eating the entire package/bag/box of treats?

Do you just keep it out of the house completely?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get up and move when it hits. Also pre-logging helps quite a bit, as it makes you "look" at the calories". Alternately, do a bit of extra cardio, to get the extra cookie.
  • petitehealth
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Get up and move when it hits. Also pre-logging helps quite a bit, as it makes you "look" at the calories". Alternately, do a bit of extra cardio, to get the extra cookie.

thanks @Liftng4Lis
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can't have temptations in the house at all. I plan one treat a week and it's usually a single serve ice cream. I would love to have oreos but I just don't think I should have them around.
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My two sons can make any food disappear immediately- except vegetables lol
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oreos are one of the few things I just will not have in the house anymore. If the BF buys a pack,I have a couple. But then he has to take the rest to work.

Most things I can have control-but cookies and snacky foods are tougher. I try to stick to individual or smaller packages. I don't really pre-plan treats ahead of time. Whatever I feel like on a given day, I just make it fit and get it.
  • Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Buy snack sizes. Or just go and buy 1 really good gourmet cookie. I can't keep any quantity in the house.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I typically crave baked goods for my treats so I'll either reduced the batch significantly so I don't have a bunch left over, freeze 90% of the batch immediately, or bring it to work so it's gone and out of my house.

When I go out to eat and I'm craving something bad, I will ask for a small plate, take what I feel is a reasonable portion, and either box the rest right away and give it to a friend/family member or completely ruin it with a ton of salt so I can't go back for any more.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Haha, I have control, but Oreos are my ultimate weakness! I literally throw the package onto the very top of the cabinet. If I want it down I have to wait for my boyfriend to get it or climb up there (scared of heights). If I'm feeling good I just push them to the very back of the fridge so I can't see them unless I bend over (try em cold).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Oreos are one of the few foods I just can't have packages of in the house. Maybe you can get single serve packages at gas stations or convenience stores? I also like your idea of your fiance hiding it up high :)

When my coworkers send me chocolate at Christmas my fiance keeps it in his car trunk.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Haha, I have control, but Oreos are my ultimate weakness! I literally throw the package onto the very top of the cabinet. If I want it down I have to wait for my boyfriend to get it or climb up there (scared of heights). If I'm feeling good I just push them to the very back of the fridge so I can't see them unless I bend over (try em cold).

Yanno, things stored up high tend to get bugs or rats . . .
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I don't crave sweets. At all. But give me a bag of Tostido scoops and a jar of Tostio spinach dip, and I go nuts.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just eat the whole package. And it's out of the house at that point. Then I get on track the next day.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :D LMAO!! I'm sorry oh god weird and please don't feel offended but laugh so hard imaging the situation of you playing hide and seek with your husband and the oreos! that wouldn't work for me at all! hell no, I would be like game on B) let's find the treats! not because I would eat them but just to find them

about your original request, I think sometimes we need to be patient, it is a process, we go through different stages from - I have to hide the cookies, to letting couple of them in the pantry to just pick some of the cookies and leaving the rest in peace in a very reachable place. keep doing what is working for you and then maybe eventually start gradually to leave a couple out and then when you are comfortable enough you will be doing everything normal without the husband hiding or any zip lock.

good luck!
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What about making healthy alternatives and freezing them? Like making cacao protein balls (delicious) which hit the spot but aren't as dangerous?

I am a salt person. I crave cinema popcorn (awesome as I cannot get to it) and chips. When it comes to those things, I don't keep them in the house. Once a week I will work them into my day so I can know that it is coming, enjoy it and then know it is just a week away again.

But different strokes for folks!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just eat the whole package. And it's out of the house at that point. Then I get on track the next day.

Lol
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I eat things like that in single servings and/or out of the house.

Is there some other similar treat that will scratch the double stuff oreos itch, that comes in a single package?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    What about making healthy alternatives and freezing them? Like making cacao protein balls (delicious) which hit the spot but aren't as dangerous?

I am a salt person. I crave cinema popcorn (awesome as I cannot get to it) and chips. When it comes to those things, I don't keep them in the house. Once a week I will work them into my day so I can know that it is coming, enjoy it and then know it is just a week away again.

But different strokes for folks!

Ya, I make these chocolate bombs and freeze them: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/totally-chocolate-chocolate-chip-cookies-29

They are truly "chocolatey to the point of madness." I can't cram in both of the two cups of chocolate chips - I reduce it to one and add a cup of walnuts. I get 14 cookies instead of 12, for 234 calories. For some reason, they are safe in my freezer for weeks on end.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh I can't keep any of that stuff in the house. Some kind of sugar addiction or something. I won't go out of my way to buy the stuff but if it's in the house forget it, it's not gonna last.

My family respect this and have the sweet stuff elsewhere, bcs the alternative (me gaining weight) is a lot harder on them bcs I'm so miserable.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'd portion out all of them into the appropriate servings, then put what you aren't going to be eating this week in the freezer or into a bin with a lid, so that I'm not seeing ALL of those treats every time I look in the pantry, etc. That way you aren't wasting money by trying to buy the single serve packages or buying one gourmet style treat at a time, but you are also not seeing them mocking you from the shelves.
  • petitehealth
    edited July 2015
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    :D LMAO!! I'm sorry oh god weird and please don't feel offended but laugh so hard imaging the situation of you playing hide and seek with your husband and the oreos! that wouldn't work for me at all! hell no, I would be like game on B) let's find the treats! not because I would eat them but just to find them

about your original request, I think sometimes we need to be patient, it is a process, we go through different stages from - I have to hide the cookies, to letting couple of them in the pantry to just pick some of the cookies and leaving the rest in peace in a very reachable place. keep doing what is working for you and then maybe eventually start gradually to leave a couple out and then when you are comfortable enough you will be doing everything normal without the husband hiding or any zip lock.

good luck!

You know what's even funnier! Future hubby "planted" a Tupperware up high (it looks like the Tupperware I placed the cookie bags in) with a note that read "SHAME ON YOU! -Jeremy". It was just a joke and I wasn't the one that found the note, he actually couldn't wait to show me it. I did good, I haven't looked for them, I don't know where there are, and yesterday I slowly savored two with a glass of cold almond milk. Trust me, I would have loved another 20. This is all a test to see if it works. I'd like to be able to enjoy the treat every now and then, so we will see how I've done by the end of the week.

I also don't intend to eat two every day, only on the days where I can fit it into my macros/calories. No double stuff oreos for me today :neutral: