Food prep

tabl_23
tabl_23 Posts: 46 Member
Today I made myself lunches and dinner for the next 7 days. I also pre-measured and bagged all of my snacks. I have heard that doing this will help to eleminate the "don't have anything to eat" panic....which results in grabbing "whatever"....anybody else do this or have any input on it?

Replies

• Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    i don't, but I think it is a great idea.
  • tabl_23
    So far it has worked well....usually I cook the kids dinner and get them started eating while I begin cooking my dinner....which usually results in me picking at their food while mine is cooking....lol. Since my dinner was already finished I just popped it in the microwave and was able to eat with the kids. Seems to be working so far :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I have perfected the art of food prep. I devote a Sunday afternoon ever couple of weeks, put on an audiobook and make at least three different recipes. I portion out single serve sizes of meals into Ziplock containers with screw-on lids. I freeze everything. Then during the week, I just need to steam veggies and cut up fruit. I've got at least 5 different choices in the freezer right now.
  • tabl_23
    I have perfected the art of food prep. I devote a Sunday afternoon ever couple of weeks, put on an audiobook and make at least three different recipes. I portion out single serve sizes of meals into Ziplock containers with screw-on lids. I freeze everything. Then during the week, I just need to steam veggies and cut up fruit. I've got at least 5 different choices in the freezer right now.

Is there anything that you have found doesn't reheat well?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Boiled potatoes don't work. I once tried to layer pot roast, green beans, and new potatoes in a container and the potatoes didn't work. I've done pork tenderloin and rice, sirloin steak stir fry with broccoli, carrots, and green peppers, tuna casserole, various recipes of chicken with rice, tuna noodle casserole, turkey chili, ham and bean soup, spaghetti and meat sauce. They have all been fine.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    I do this for some items. I enjoy cooking when I get home from the office most days, however.

I also eat only at home, so I don't have to worry about meals at work.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    I don't do much for the week other than make chicken/turkey muffins to eat with salad or lentils. Usually while I'm eating my pre work breakfast I weigh and package things for lunch or snacks later that day. I also prelog most of my days which is really helpful to me.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    I found that prelogging my food first thing in the morning really helps too.
  • tabl_23
    I found that prelogging my food first thing in the morning really helps too.

That's an awesome idea....
  • allisonbpharris
    allisonbpharris Posts: 1 Member
    I've recently decided to meal prep for the week. It has been a lot of work, but I'm having a lot of fun with it!! I don't have a huge variety of things to choose from because I'm worried they will not re-heat well. I see that some have posted several items that they have used, but does anyone have any recipes to share? I've been trying to focus on healthy (obviously), but also creating something with a lot of taste. I feel that it has helped me stick to the plan for the entire week.

If you have anything to share I would greatly appreciate it!!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Since I am working on lowering my carbohydrate ratio. I make a "flip" pasta salad. It is a bag of spinach, and veggies (cucumbers, squash, broccoli etc.) with a cup of cooked pasta. (ratio is about 80% veggies and 20% pasta) This way I get a few pieces of pasta with each bite. I just add baked chicken or baked tofu for protein.
    I make a large bowl and portion it for lunch or dinner.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    I pre-bag for snacks that I will pig out on. Like, jelly beans for Easter. I LOVE classic jelly beans, so I weigh out portions into small bags and keep them downstairs. So, when I want some, I grab one bag and get some tastiness without overloading my day. I tend not to make meals ahead of time because I don't actually like most leftovers. There's very few I can reheat properly and make them taste as good as when they are made. But then, I'm a picky eater, so that's just me!
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    I am trying to meal prep. Tonight I prepped chicken breast, lean turkey spaghetti to go with spaghetti squash, roasted mixed peppers, sweet potato, baked sweet potato fries and steam zucchini/squash and roasted red potato. And I have flat out wraps that I add lots of the veggies on with some of the spag for chicken for a pizza
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Add me if you like but I do like friends only with open diary to share ideas
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    I don't prep my dinners, but having snacks and lunches ready to go for work is essential to me. In the fall and winter I make large batches of soup that I freeze into single portion containers. Now that its summer I'm craving raw foods more often. Kale holds up wonderfully in salads. I make four portions at a time. I also enjoy having a lunch of veggies, hummus and hard boiled eggs. I cut up three days worth of veggies at a time. They stay fresh until then, but anything more and they get a bit dried out. For snacks I like grapes and nuts. Everything is portioned out ahead of time to control the "just one more" impulses.
  • tabl_23
    I have been working on my meals this week...I've noticed I get board with the same foods. I am going to get my menu and grocery list ready tomorrow for next week and I'm going to have to make a couple different dishes for some variety through the week. Maybe some people can eat the same thing over and over and over.....but that's obviously not me...lol
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    I batch cook once every fortnight and freeze single servings of heaps of meals for lunch and dinner.