Would you ever.....

Options
jaqcan
jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
...... talk to another overweight person the way you talk to yourself?
I see people call themselves horrible adjectives on here all the time, and can't imagine why they are so mean. Be nice to yourself, especially when joining a site like MFP and taking a giant step in the right direction towards better health.

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    :( No responses. ok
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness... absolutely not! I really try hard not to self loathe, but I can definitely beat myself up when I fail.

I really do hate seeing people bash themselces, especially over weight. It's hard to lose weight & keep it off so no one should feel bad when they struggle. If it were easy then we'd all be boring super models walking around & this site wouldn't even exist :)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    This topic is mentioned to people who are down on themselves and talk badly about themselves. I've mentioned it in posts here at times. It's an important way to build self-esteem.

So, no, most of us would never talk to someone else the way we talk to ourselves when we are having a bad day. But, we all need reminders at times.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I agree. I used to be a terrible self-basher. No so much anymore though. It can easily be used as an excuse not to be accountable. I'm bad (fat, hopeless, ugly, etc.), so no wonder I can't do it. Got to let all that go and learn to love and respect the life you've been given.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Also, @jaqcan, just wanted to add that this is a good thing for everyone to keep in mind and maybe this thread may not get as many responses as you'd hope, but what is also helpful is to respond with this reminder to people who do post negative things about themselves and call themselves names. That is when the reminder is really needed - right when they are in that negative space.