Why do people differentiate between calories??

Options
annasor70
annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
So MFP gives me about 1270 or so to eat per day but I exercise A LOT...sometimes 800 calories worth so I end up eating about maybe 1700 in total per day.
I have seen that on here some people differentiate between exercise calories and the regular calories base allowed by MFP...but aren't they all the same?
Some folks say that they don't eat back "exercise calories"! If I did that with how much I exercise and only ate about 1270 per day, I would drop dead from fatigue. I eat to be healthy and strong...not fainting ;)
Am I right?

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So MFP gives me about 1270 or so to eat per day but I exercise A LOT...sometimes 800 calories worth so I end up eating about maybe 1700 in total per day.
    I have seen that on here some people differentiate between exercise calories and the regular calories base allowed by MFP...but aren't they all the same?
    Some folks say that they don't eat back "exercise calories"! If I did that with how much I exercise and only ate about 1270 per day, I would drop dead from fatigue. I eat to be healthy and strong...not fainting ;)
    Am I right?

I don't always eat back my exercise calories, in fact I never eat them all back. I am on 1200 calories per day and when I exercise, I can burn anything from just 300 calories to over 600.

I have to admit, I have never felt like fainting or fatigued, I guess everybody is just different.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Am I right?

Well if you're eating 1270, and earning 800, that equals 2,070 calories, but you said you're eating 1700 in a day. So you're essentially doing the same thing - not 'eating back' all of your exercise calories. Maybe I'm not understanding your question.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Am I right?

I don't always eat back my exercise calories, in fact I never eat them all back. I am on 1200 calories per day and when I exercise, I can burn anything from just 300 calories to over 600.

I have to admit, I have never felt like fainting or fatigued, I guess everybody is just different.

underestimating intake, overestimating exercise cals or you haven't been doing it long enough.

The reason people differentiate is that some people don't exercise and just eat at a cal deficit. (good way to end up skinny fat IMO). Others like the above lady believe that they should just eat the alloted cals despite exercising. If the person is set to 2lbs per week and does this it's likely that unless they are extremely obese the deficit will be too large. This means they are more likely to lose LBM and have further metabolic adaptation than is required.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It depends. When my exercise routine was more stable, I had things set up so that my weekly calorie allotment included exercise calories for my own convenience, based on my typical workouts, and divided across a week. It was simpler for me and made it easier than having to plan specifically for whether a run would be on Wednesday or Thursday to make the appropriate meal. I had a signficant apparent deficit on the days I did work, but it had already been factored in. Now, my burns are a little more variable, so I do eat back what I burn on a specific day (although I typically try to leave 100-200 uneaten to account to potential inaccuracies in my calories burned values.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I stay under 1200 everyday. Run for at least an hour and lift for 20-30 minutes. I only eat when hungry, never out of boredom. Have never felt faint or fatigued. I never eat back my exercise calories. Everybody is different
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree with grimendale. I like to leave some of my burned calories uneaten as well. There can be inaccuracies with the calorie burn calculations. It can go either direction though, If you are truly hungry, I believe in eating at least something. And always make sure you are meeting your requirements of protein, calcium, and iron! This is more important in my opinion!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    They are the same, MFP is the one that differentiates between them. By giving you your basic calorie goal with a built in deficit assuming no exercise and then asking you to log exercise and adding it back to your goal, they kind of make a big deal of exercise vs daily life calories. I think this is a point of confusion for many people.

ETA: Yes you are right to eat them back! That is how the site is set up. Also ensures the forums will never go out of business.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Am I right?

cuz it seems sensible to them
  • __Di__
    Options
    Am I right?

underestimating intake, overestimating exercise cals or you haven't been doing it long enough.

The reason people differentiate is that some people don't exercise and just eat at a cal deficit. (good way to end up skinny fat IMO). Others like the above lady believe that they should just eat the alloted cals despite exercising. If the person is set to 2lbs per week and does this it's likely that unless they are extremely obese the deficit will be too large. This means they are more likely to lose LBM and have further metabolic adaptation than is required.

No, I have been doing this long enough believe it or not, my current weightloss is not my full story :laugh:
  • __Di__
    Options
    I stay under 1200 everyday. Run for at least an hour and lift for 20-30 minutes. I only eat when hungry, never out of boredom. Have never felt faint or fatigued. I never eat back my exercise calories. Everybody is different

thank you :flowerforyou:
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal overestimates exercise calories in its database for a lot of general exercises.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat back exercise calories (since MFP builds in a deficit for you already) you could create too large of a deficit depending on your weight loss goals you set and lose weight too quickly - which some people do on purpose but it shouldn't be a goal. I actually am working on getting myself back to eating enough myself as I am eating far too little lately due to an enormous amount of stress in my personal life...losing weight too quickly isn't healthy by any means unless you are very overweight.

You are doing great with eating them back and are completely right that you could end up being too fatigued for your workouts if you burn that much a day. Keep up the great work!!
  • annasor70
    Options
    If you don't eat back exercise calories (since MFP builds in a deficit for you already) you could create too large of a deficit depending on your weight loss goals you set and lose weight too quickly - which some people do on purpose but it shouldn't be a goal. I actually am working on getting myself back to eating enough myself as I am eating far too little lately due to an enormous amount of stress in my personal life...losing weight too quickly isn't healthy by any means unless you are very overweight.

You are doing great with eating them back and are completely right that you could end up being too fatigued for your workouts if you burn that much a day. Keep up the great work!!

Thanks..this makes most sense to me...for example, many days I do insanity which, according to monitor can burn up to 700 cals, then I take ballet classes for 90 to 120 minutes, again according to monitor, I burn up to 850 cals..these are very intensive. I also hike with my dogs up hilly areas for about an hour...some days I burn more than 1000 cals in total....on average about 700 to 800 per day.
    I need strength for my ballet especially.
    I maybe don't eat ALL the cals back but a lot of them.
    I get very thin in my upper body; arms, face, neck if I eat too little. I want to keep building lean long muscle and not look gaunt.
    Right now I am 127 lbs and 5 foot 6...not obsessed with weight but want to lose two inches off my waist, build up my back and reduce thighs by about an inch.
    I am also doing some weight lifting as of recently.

Yes, everyone is different for sure :)
    I am amazed at how little some folks eat and still maange to have strength!! How DO they do it!? :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A lot of people; 1) don't understand that their calorie goal is a deficit of maintenance...they think it is maintenance and that they need to do a lot of exercise to create a deficit; 2.) they don't understand that MFP is a NEAT method calculator...thus, exercise is extra activity; 3) a lot of people have had it beat into their heads that to lose weight they have to eat like a little birdie; 4) a lot of people are obsessed with FAST weight loss rather than SAFE and HEALTHY...not to mention sustainable weight loss; 5) people just don't research how to properly use a tool...they just dive in and think they know what the **** they're doing.
  • annasor70
    Options
    A lot of people; 1) don't understand that their calorie goal is a deficit of maintenance...they think it is maintenance and that they need to do a lot of exercise to create a deficit; 2.) they don't understand that MFP is a NEAT method calculator...thus, exercise is extra activity; 3) a lot of people have had it beat into their heads that to lose weight they have to eat like a little birdie; 4) a lot of people are obsessed with FAST weight loss rather than SAFE and HEALTHY...not to mention sustainable weight loss; 5) people just don't research how to properly use a tool...they just dive in and think they know what the **** they're doing.

All true imo too....I want to be strong..I want to be healthy and to have boundless energy and also to enjoy delicious and healthy foods :)
    It is also more important to me to be healthy for life rather than lose inches fast.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Some of us struggle to find the right balance of calories and exercise. I keep gaining and losing the same 4 pounds no matter if I do or do not eat exercise calories. One size does not fit all, and some of us can't find a fit.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back exercise calories because I try to balance exercise with off-diary late night snacking. So far, the balance is pretty good. I'm trying to increase exercise while decreasing snacking. If I succeed, I may start eating back some exercise.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    to think 250 calories of broccoli is the same as 250 calories of soda is stupid. Not all calories are created equal. No one who is lean, fit, and healthy will tell you otherwise.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat my calories back. I'm not going to eat just to eat when I'm not hungry, despite that fact that it might be the best thing to do. I will usually try to drink some full fat raw milk or some nuts towards the end of the night if my deficit is too large though. I have had nights where I am ready for bed and have a 1200 calorie deficit. That's obviously exaggerated by MFPs overestimating of exercise calories, so the real total is probably more like 7-800. In those instances, I will try to get something in me, but if it's only 2-300, I don't worry about it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Many folks on MFP have an unhealthy relationship with food, whether battling obesity or, at the other end of the spectrum, an eating disorder. This influences how they perceive calories and exercise.