Calories in/out question

I'm looking to maintain weight during my 16-week race training program. I'll be slowly increasing my calories up as the 16 weeks progress for the marathon. I had a calories in/out question.

I know how much I'll be burning from my running (safe estimates based on miles/week). MFP recommends at my height, gender, weight, lightly active (that's my level of activity due to my job) and with no anticipated workouts to eat 2,960 calories to maintain. Can I use this as my baseline to make up my own goals for calories consumed a week? For example, if I know I'll burn 3400 calories one week running, can I calculate my food intake as (Weekly Calories Consumed - 3400)/7=2,960?

While many may say this is cumbersome, I find this will be easier than MFPs listing of workout anticipation in the goal setting.

6'5, 228lb male

Thanks

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    if you are going to burn 3400 calories a week from running, then why not just eat an extra 485 calories a day so that you net 2960 per day. So 3400 burned/7 days a week = 485 calories burned per day.

so you would eat 3445 calories - 485 burned = 2960 net calories per day. I am assuming that you are doing MFP method and not TDEE method...

unless I am not understanding your question...
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    You do understand the question and have a much simpler approach by just diving up the calories burned over the 7 days.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    For example, if I know I'll burn 3400 calories one week running, can I calculate my food intake as (Weekly Calories Consumed - 3400)/7=2,960?

I think the order of your equation confuses the most. What you are describing sounds like the TDEE method.
    So basically:

Daily calories = ((2,960 x 7) + 3400) / 7 = 3,445
    = (weekly calories + exercise calories ) / by 7 days

Correct?
    If yes, you are totally allowed to do that.
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Thanks!