From one extreme to the next.....

So I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me...
I first joined MFP while i was going to culinary arts school, and I took a nutrition class in that program. I fell in love with that class and would read far ahead because i liked it so much. Well I ended up going way to over board with it and only allowed myself to eat certain foods and wouldn't let myself eat over 800 cals a day and if i did i would cry for hours and feel horrible.... It got to the point that i had lost so much weight it caught my parents attention and they told me if i didn[t get healthy they would put me in a hospital that would....
Well I decided to do it on my own. I deleted MFP and slowly went back to trying to eat normal. But i had no idea what normal was anymore. I ate way too much. binged all the time and gained all the weight back plus some that i had lost.
Food was always a constant battle but now its a different kind of fight. I eat to the point that a feel sick almost every night and i cant seem to break the cycle. I do good for maybe a few days eat plenty and make myself stop eating for the night. but its hard.
I want to find a happy medium, I want to not have to always worry about food, and the scale, and calories...
Does anyone have any ideas or are you dealing with a similar situation?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    It sounds like you might have developed an eating disorder. Have you considered talking to a counselor or therapist?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    You need to seek professional help.
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    I third that. A counselor may be able to help. There may be some deeper reasons subconsciously.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    If you decide to talk to someone for help, that doesn't make you weak. It makes you strong enough to notice you need the help.

Get a team of helpful people together to help coach you on what a "normal" food intake looks like and how to achieve it in a way that makes you comfortable. (Although growth is often UNcomfortable at first)

It's great that your parents showed concern and that you took steps to correct your behavior, but it seems like you could use some help getting it normalized and reigned in. You can do this, but you might need some help! :)
  • SAP82915
    SAP82915 Posts: 9 Member
    I would just like to think that i could correct it on my own... I mean what happend to all the dedication and motivation i had to loose the weight in the first place? I wish i could channel it into getting healthy... I have my doctors appointment tin October maybe i should bring it up then?
  • usmcmp
    SAP82915 wrote: »
    I would just like to think that i could correct it on my own... I mean what happend to all the dedication and motivation i had to loose the weight in the first place? I wish i could channel it into getting healthy... I have my doctors appointment tin October maybe i should bring it up then?

Your doctor probably doesn't specialize in eating disorders and mental behavior. You should seek a mental health professional.

I suffer from anxiety and I would like to think that I can do it on my own, but the reality is that I need someone else to help me learn tools to manage it on my own.
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

Your doctor probably doesn't specialize in eating disorders and mental behavior. You should seek a mental health professional.

I suffer from anxiety and I would like to think that I can do it on my own, but the reality is that I need someone else to help me learn tools to manage it on my own.

I've also dealt with anxiety for a long time. I talked to someone about it and found ways to identify my triggers and they also helped wife with tools for how to assist me. Sometimes we all need just a little help.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    There's no shame in needing help. We live in a prideful culture that says we should be strong enough to handle everything on our own, but that's just not how it is. Some times we just can't do it on our own, and we need some help.
    Please at least consider looking into some type of counseling. They know how to help you.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member

I would bring it up to them, certainly. If nothing else, they can give you some advice on what to do.

If you've tried to bring it under control but can't, there's no shame in seeking help with it. I struggled with depression for years before I finally realized what it was and got some help. In my case that meant meds, which I hate that I have to take every day, but honestly has helped me keep balance. In our culture, there is a stigma that if you need help for mental issues you're broken. It's unfortunate, but not true. Seeking help doesn't mean you're broken, it just means you're in over your head with something and need a hand to climb out.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    dubird wrote: »

I would bring it up to them, certainly. If nothing else, they can give you some advice on what to do.

If you've tried to bring it under control but can't, there's no shame in seeking help with it. I struggled with depression for years before I finally realized what it was and got some help. In my case that meant meds, which I hate that I have to take every day, but honestly has helped me keep balance. In our culture, there is a stigma that if you need help for mental issues you're broken. It's unfortunate, but not true. Seeking help doesn't mean you're broken, it just means you're in over your head with something and need a hand to climb out.

Yes! Very well said. Thank you for sharing your story as well.
  • SAP82915
    Thank you everyone so much :) I want to get better, but i am worried people wont understand and think down on me for needing help. like what everyone is posting. I dont want people to think im crazy....
  • usmcmp
    Thank you everyone so much :) I want to get better, but i am worried people wont understand and think down on me for needing help. like what everyone is posting. I dont want people to think im crazy....

People who judge you for needing help aren't your friends.
  • SAP82915
    Not everyone is supportive like the people on MFP are, thats another reason why I joined on again. I feel like some members would understand and not be so judgmental... and i was right :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

Yes, I would bring it up. Ask for a referral, if you think it's necessary. Working with a certified nutritionist may be all you need. You will ultimately have to do it, but a little professional advice can't hurt.
  • usmcmp
    Not everyone is supportive like the people on MFP are, thats another reason why I joined on again. I feel like some members would understand and not be so judgmental... and i was right :)

Yes, people are judgmental. What others think of you is none of your business. Your choices are:

-Let other's thoughts keep you from seeking help, resulting in continued struggle.
    -Do what's best for yourself, ignore others and seek help. Profit.
  • SAP82915
    Right, who cares what people think? I have to do what i have to do for me regardless!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Just keep in mind that everyone needs help sometime. No one goes through life without the need for an occasional assist.
  • SAP82915
    I will start with my primary doctor maybe they can refer me to someone and i will do some research of my own, it would be wonderful to be better again
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Right, who cares what people think? I have to do what i have to do for me regardless!

Exactly. Those that will judge you don't matter, and those that do matter will support you. In the case of getting yourself healthy, your opinion matters the most. I know I would never look down on someone that needed and sought medical help for any matter, and while society as a whole might, a lot of individual people won't. So focus on getting yourself healthy and don't worry about it.
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »

Yes! Very well said. Thank you for sharing your story as well.

Thanks. ^^ I don't talk a lot about this, but sometimes people need to hear that others have gone though similar things, even if I don't share all the details. Just knowing that others have had issues can sometimes give someone the strength to admit to their own problems and seek help if needed.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member

Nah its exactly as dubird said, if you cnat cope on your own then its a brave and smart thing to ask for help.
    It doesnt have to be with your Dr it could simply be one of the esting disorder helplines/ charities.