feeling lost :-(

Options
Hello everyone Im fairly new here aNd im feeling completely lost amd ready to give up :-(. I officially started my journey at 192lbs. I am 25years old and 5'2". When i first t started I was netting 1200 calories. The first week i gained 1lb. The second week i lost the 1lb. The third week I found a log about TDEE so after calculating it I figured I ahould eat 1800 calories and not log excercise. Well the third week I lost 0.8lbs so I found myself at 191 lbs. This week I aeigjed in and gained 3lbs making me 194lbs! 2lbs heavier than wjen I started :'(. As far as excercise I jog for 30 min 4 times a week and I do Jillian michaels body revolution 3-4 times a week. What am i doi.g wrong? Feeling so discouraged thought that I was making progress :-(

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Give it time. It doesn't happen overnight. You need to pick a method and stick with it for a good month before you decide it it works or not.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would definitely have lost at 1200 OR 1800 with that exercise and I have less to lose.

My guess is that you're not logging all you eat and drink properly. Weigh everything and log everything - drinks, cooking oil, sugar, any snatched mouthful.

Don't worry about the last few weeks. New habits, portion sizes etc need to be learned. And the scales do move erratically for most of us. It's worth taking your measurements too. Or finding a tight piece of clothing and monitoring its fit as you get smaller.

Keep on exercising, logging hard and then when you have a downward trend for a few weeks, you've cracked it.

At least it sounds like you're giving it a great push. Well done for that and good luck
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started at 178, so not much lighter than you're at, and MFP never let me eat 1800 cals! when i started, it let me eat 1400 when i wanted to lose 1.5 lbs a week.

if you're jogging 4x/week AND working out 4x/wk? and GAINING weight? you're definitely cheating yourself out of results. anything that goes in your mouth should be recorded, be it a steak dinner or a piece of chocolate. don't eyeball food especially if you're just starting out.

it's really easy to put only 1 brownie in your log even though you ate three, especially if they were such teeeensy little brownies that they should have counted as one! if you're honest with yourself and honest with your logging, the weight should come off.
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's all about the diet, what foods have you been eating ? And what have you been drinking ? It takes time just stick at it
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I would go for about 1500 or even 1400 and eat back exercise calories. You will lose on that amount & get nice & fit at the same time.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    It's all about the diet, what foods have you been eating ? And what have you been drinking ? It takes time just stick at it

can you elaborate on this place I'd love to hear it. what do you mean exactly?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. There are going to be lots of weeks where you don't lose and there may be some where you gain. Higher salt intake, new exercise, and time of month can all make you retain water. On top of that, weight fluctuates up to 10 lbs per day. You're looking for an overall downward trend, but it's not necessarily going to be a straight line.

That said, double check your logging accuracy. Are you using a food scale and logging everything? If so, then trust the process and have patience.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I find that some foods make me bloat and retain water - especially chinese food and not enough water makes me "irregular" shall we say!! That all has a bearing for me. Before I started MFP I wasn't logging drinks either. I didn't realise just how many calories some drinks have in them!! Nowadays it's mainly water, green tea and "evil" diet coke!
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I'm confused what are you talking about ?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

I'm confused what are you talking about ?

damn it. im typing in the dark. could you please explain what you mean by its all about the diet. im intrigued.