Exercising with Asthma

Options
I'm wondering how many people here have chronic or activity induced asthma and what your exercise regimen is from day to day or week to week. I have chronic asthma and can't run (at least not yet with needing to lose another 60 lbs). I have to take breaks during my cardio workouts as well. If you've lost a lot of weight has your asthma improved at all?

Replies

• douglawrenson
    douglawrenson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Building up your amount of exercise slowly will help
  • wmdurcan
    wmdurcan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My asthma has gotten better the more exercise I add into my life. I have lost 40 pounds and have 60 more to go. I started with walking and yoga. Then, I added in circuit trying and spinning. In March I started running-very slow. I take 2 shots of my albuterol and then don't need it during the run. In the beginning, I would get wheezy. Give it time and don't give up.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma. No experience with weightloss though.

I've been going to the gym for 7+ years now, and it did definitely get better over time, but is still there.
    When I moved I took a 5 month workout break, and it did bring down my endurance. So I'm still in the process of building that up again.
    Don't be affraid to ocasionally take a break. Personally I am aware when I'm just tired or when it is my asthma holding me back. If it is Asthma I just take a minute to get my breathing under control and go back to working out. It may limit the intensity I am able to do something at, but I won't let my workout be ruined by it.

My personal exercise regimen is BodyCombat 2x a week, and recently added a BodyPump to that.
    So basically two hours of cardio a week, and it did make a difference. I can run to the bus without getting an asthma attack. (Out of breath, yes. But atleast not an attack.)

So basically, you have to build it up, and it will take time. It is totally worth it though.
    P.s. Try to stay away from HIIT for a while. It is a great workout that may help improve your asthma in the future, but has no point if you already can't get past the first two minutes.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Do you have a treatment plan? I was able to exercise through a year of allergy and exercise induced asthma by using a steroid inhaler as directed. After one particularly bad year, it has mostly stayed gone. Some people with asthma find swimming to be a better exercise than running.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Not asthma exactly but chronic bronchitis and CPOD. I take albuterol before exercise whether it feels needed or not.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Asthma my whole life.
    Gets way worse when I was overweight and had a belly. That extra weight hangs from the diaphragm and it's a lot of work just to breathe.
    Discovered weight lifting did not bother me so much so I took that path. After getting to a healthier weight tried just some short sprints.
    Slowly, and I mean slowly!, worked up to the elliptical. Months before I could do 15 mins straight.
    After about 1.5 years I can go for about 30 mins straight.
    Meanwhile lifting weights kept me going. Short intense bursts of strength didn't bother me. Then rest for 90 secs and move onto the next set.
    If I didn't have something I could do without wheezing I probably would have given up.
  • dorothybooth
    dorothybooth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use my inhaler before every run even if I feel great. I have 40 pounds to loose. I'm using an app that helped me slowly build my running stamina. It started with 1 minute of easy jogging followed by 3 minutes of walking. I'm now up to running almost 10 minutes with 1 minute of walking.
  • timmdz
    timmdz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing weight for me helps.. a lot. When I am heavy, I take Advair + Salbutamol when needed, and I need it 2-3 times a day, and always immediately when I wake up in the morning. When I lose weight, I see an immediate decrease in the frequency of Salbutamol intake, and If I get in good enough shape, I can usually completely go off the Advair. I have had chronic asthma my whole life. I have no issues with Yoga or weightlifting as long as I take a couple puffs before I start. Running... can't do. Walking no problem.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I went off Advair earlier this year after taking it for the past 8 years because my asthma was under control. I still take Singulair and Flonase (for nasal issues) and have a Proventil inhaler that I take as needed (rarely unless exercising or sick). After reading these posts I've been taking two puffs of my Proventil inhaler before exercising and it does seem to help get me through my cardio workouts easier. I don't think I'll be running marathons anytime soon, but I would like to be able to do more than just walking for workouts.